supporting walls

Sorry, still not convinced ..... so no sale, and no commission on this one

dizzy.gif

Sponsored Links
Go and visit a house in the US or Canada. The whole building is constructed of timber, and most of it is structural.

Yes, maybe. But this is the UK, and we are talking about a typical mass produced UK house of typical UK construction methods

I've not seen a mass produced noddy house from the Bellways/Wimpeys/Barratts of this world, where the stud walls upstairs or down do anything other than divide the rooms
Persimmon used to use first floor stud walls to support joists on some of the three storey house designs, have worked on them so know this to be fact on the old traditional joist layout ,but now they tend to use attic trusses or eco joists so have nt come across it for a few years now .

Sponsored Links
i've worked on some 3 storey town houses which incorporated steel, which was supported by 5or6 3x2 timbers all nailed together.
what on earth would happen to the structure in fire is beyond me, total collapse would be my guess
then you go on others jobs and they insist on pad stones on engineering brick pillars, very strange

I have to say that a steel beam sitting on a timber post is one of my pet hates. Just doesn't seem right, although I know that the theory will show it to be ok...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back