Supporting Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have to install four 2.3m long rolled steel joists and form a 1.8m opening in an existing wall. Its between the original 1920's wall and a modern extension.
What would be the best way to support the wall?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you've got to ask the question I'm wondering if you should be attempting to do it; get it wrong the whole lot could come down :eek: Four RSJ's seems a little unusual, has a structural engineer done any calculations to verify the size/number of beams & padstones required? Have these calculations been submitted to your LABC as part of a Building Regs. submission for your extension?

if they are rolled steel joists... must be second hand... or well over the top.

I can't work out why you would need 4 RSJs in a single opening.

It's going to be either a 9" solid (slim chance 13"), or possibly a cavity wall, which either way will need not more than two beams.

Acrows and needles is the usual method.

Sponsored Links
I can't work out why you would need 4 RSJs in a single opening.
This is what the O.P. actually said:
I have to install four 2.3m long rolled steel joists and form a 1.8m opening

Either use needles (as suggested) or if the floor joists land on this wall then these become your needles so just prop the joists.

He's doing a project for his brickie's apprenticeship or something. Posted the same but in more detail on another similar forum...

He's doing a project for his brickie's apprenticeship or something. Posted the same but in more detail on another similar forum...
Well if he'd said that in the first place, he'd likely got more informative answers :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back