Replacing an eaves lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....if someone could confirm this all makes sense that would be much appreciated....
I have two bedroom windows on the first floor 1.2m wide each with 0.9m of wall between them and want to replace with one 2.3m window and block up part of each existing opening. Wall is 50mm cavity with no masonary above the opening on the outer leaf so the inner leaf is supporting the roof trusses running perpendicular to the wall...the floor joists run parallel to the wall but sit on a loadbearing wall approx 2/3 of the way along the new opening.
Plan is to prop the ceiling and therefore the roof trusses next to the opening with spreaders top and bottom, remove the two existing lintels and wall between openings, block up half of each original opening and fit a new 2.7m long CN55A eaves lintel creating a 2.3m opening...no space for masonry between the lintel and wall plate so I'll probably pack out with timber but CN55A can take point load....will then brick up outer leaf to size, fit cavity closers and new window.
Does anyone see any problems with this before I make an expensive mistake....
Thanks

Sponsored Links
...lot of views but no comments....not sure if that's a good sign or not....any advice would be much appreciated....
Thanks

I can't see anything wrong with that.

Would it be better to build the sides and form the opening first, before removing the centre brickwork?

Sponsored Links
....thanks for your reply Woody....I assume you're thinking to leave the middle unsupported for the least amount of time...makes sense I guess but then either the roof over the opening is either supported or it's not and it'll probably be easier to remove the original lintels before I block up under them...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back