Suprima 80 only works with cover open...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have been looking into why my rads and hot water are warm rather than hot and noticed that the boiler was only lit for a few seconds at most. However, when I opened the cover the boiler stayed lit until it reached temp. Presumably then this is something to do with air flow?
The fan spins freely and appears to work ok and there is nothing blocking the flue. There are two small pipes / tubes that enter from the control side of the boiler - a clear one that connects to the bottom of the fan housing which appears to have closed up where it bends to connect at the fan, and a red pipe with a small metal insert that does not connect to anything. Is my problem related to either of these tubes?
Any help greatly appreciated :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kevplumb.

I appreciate I will need to get someone in to look at it, but just to understand whats going on, am I right in thinking that the open ended red tube is monitoring air pressure inside the boiler cover, effectively checking for a fan leak?

sounds like your flueways (ventilation side) isn't bring enough frsh air into the boiler if it only opens when the case is off whic is very dangerous

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kevplumb.

I appreciate I will need to get someone in to look at it, but just to understand whats going on, am I right in thinking that the open ended red tube is monitoring air pressure inside the boiler cover, effectively checking for a fan leak?
No...you are not right. :!:

Hi

Have been reading this post with interest. Why does removing the case make the boiler fire up? Is it due to lack of air entering the boiler via the flue inlet (air) duct?

I know if the case seals are worn on some boilers or if the case is removed then the boiler does not fire up - but this is the opposite way.

Usually air pressure switch tubes connect to the fan or the flueway (venturi) - or in this case to a position inside the casing.

Thanks for the comments so far.
What I have noticed is that from cold, with both HW and heating on, the boiler will light and heat both up to required temp. However, once up to temp the boiler then only lights for a few seconds, and gradually over a few hours HW and rads all significantly cool off. At this point I would now be 100% confident to say that if I were to open the case, the burner would light and stay lit, hence my original comment. Does this give anyone a better idea of whats going on?

I've got a couple of ideas, first, as already suggested - don't run the boiler with the case off, and second, do as advised and get a boiler man in.

out of interest, why does the boiler run with the cover removed? a lot will stop if the cover's off or case seals worn etc

that and the fact its a suprima

and works
lol-020.gif

I've had this problem a few times on Suprima's after checking the inlet duct for restriction and ther APS sensing tubes for blockage or splits, the cause is usually a knackered APS!! ;)

Put the cover back on before you die and get a rgi in to renew the air pressure switch.

I would think that the clear tube which has closed up would be a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back