suprima 80L trouble!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Suprima 80L boiler. It has started cutting out and the display light starts flashing red when it does this. I use the reset button like it says to on the panel and it lasts for a while, but then does it again. It is doing this for both heating and hot water.

Sometimes it will stay on for an hour or so and other times it almost goes straight back to flashing red light after I reset it.

Any ideas what this could be???

Appreciate the feed back.

Sponsored Links
It could be overheating so turn the control knob back to 10 oclock and see what that does.

Or it could be a boiler fault.

Or the pcb may be failing. These cost about £175 to buy so a BG fixed price repair would be best value IF it really is the pcb at fault.

The last one I went to was the fan failing which makes a change from the pcb.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Just turned the knob back so currently monitoring it as I type this.

Why would it be over heating though if it is that??

And is there any way of telling whether it’s the pcb or not, as I obviously don’t want to spend more than I need to??

Steve

A competent boiler engineer can usually diagnose the fault but there are several possible causes.

Identifying the PCB as the problem is usually by elimination of all the other possible causes.

Water flow rate through the boiler is an obvious possibility if its overheating.

Tony

Sponsored Links
99% of the time a red flashing light is new pcb time.

Normal RGI would charge about £300 + VAT all in, so BG seems cheap.

make sure they fit part no 5111603 and not simply old replacement board

ah. thought i'd never seen a part no. for them. never seems to stop people fitting them though judging by the posts on here. cheers nickso

About 80% of the Suprimas I have been to in the last couple of years have been fans or APS.

It seems as if they are less likely to fail after they reach 10 years old.

I think a lot of PCBs are being fixed using repaired ones! No shortage of them!

Tony

99% of the time a red flashing light is new pcb time.

Normal RGI would charge about £300 + VAT all in, so BG seems cheap.

Had BG out and the engineer said straight away that it might not even be the boiler. Went upstairs and quickly diagnosed it as the pump next to the Mega flo tank. He changed it and it’s sorted the problem.

Cost me £189 and I could have turned him away and not been charged but thought it was worth it as I had already been ignored by 5 plumbers and this was a hassle free fix!! :D

Thanks for everybody's feedback though!! :D

A competent boiler engineer can usually diagnose the fault but there are several possible causes.

Identifying the PCB as the problem is usually by elimination of all the other possible causes.

Water flow rate through the boiler is an obvious possibility if its overheating.

Tony

An independent engineer would probably charge about £84 to diagnose the fault and about £85 to supply and fit a Grunfoss pump at the same time so the BG price was about the same.

Tony

Never had one that hasn't been a pcb as yet, but then all the ones I've done have been working ok except they keep locking out about 6 or 7 times a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back