1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Suprima heat exchanger swap & derust?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Liverpool-Lad, 3 May 2021.

1. Liverpool-Lad

Liverpool-Lad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi folks

I've acquired a new cast heat exchanger to replace the existing one on our suprima boiler. It has slight surface rust inside, would be it worth filling the inside with a rust neutraliser/dip to clear any off before fitting, or is this a waste of time? If so what product should I look into?

Any gotchas on this job or other parts we will need? I have new rubber washers, maybe the 30mm nuts too? I will be getting a gas safe engineer in to do this job.

Many thanks.

2. spareshunter

spareshunter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think the RGI will advise that you get a new boiler. This one was notorious at PCB breakdown and never really resolved 100% despite many "improvements". Not worth the agro.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Liverpool-Lad

Liverpool-Lad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The boiler has had a replacement pcb/loom in the past and functions ok. I am getting some kettling so suspect the heat exchanger, hence the swap.

Not intending to replace it if possible!

5. spareshunter

spareshunter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For now.

Cast iron Boilers kettles for a reason. Calchem or boiler silencer may fix it for a short period. Would not replace hex, waste of time.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Liverpool-Lad

Liverpool-Lad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have tried a few additives and it returns, Im happy to replace the exchanger to try it out.