Surface drain blocked

Sponsored Links
Apologies. No neighbours have no idea. We've lived here longer than anybody the neighbours apart from one next door, who are quite elderly and had no idea what I was talking about

Your water bill will state whether your surface water goes into the public sewer. Otherwise it will discharge into soakaways.

If there is a common pipe from your neighbour(s) it will be the responsibility of the Water Authority to clear & maintain – the single pipe from the gully (until it reaches the combined pipe) will be down to you. They will probably resist at first but if it serves more that one property will eventutally cave. There is normally a digram on their website that illustrates which pipes they are responsible for.

Sponsored Links
Hole would have probably been where the original round downpipe went into the gulley, they were often done like that so the water (and debris) went straight into the Hopper and didn't cause issues with blocked grids. Original downpipe has since been replaced with square, which has been terminated with a 'Shoe' above the grid.

Just keep digging out all the earth from the drain. You will then see which way it is running. I would then get some drain rods and give them a go...

That's the plan, and well as moaning at united utilities as they haven't bothered getting back to me. Waste of space company
Once it stops raining if course

No neighbours have no idea.
If the type and location of their gully looks the same as yours, could you, with permission of course, try putting a drain rod down their one and see where it goes?

Your water bill will state whether your surface water goes into the public sewer. Otherwise it will discharge into soakaways.
Even if the bill is correct it may not be informative. If all the surface water goes into soakaways then you get a discount, but if any goes into the public sewers you don't. So, say, a soakaway at the rear and a RWP going into the public sewers at the front = no discount.

Good idea, I'll ask next door. Been in London all weekend but I'll get more out of mine when I get back and see where neighbours goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back