Surface garden brick lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just in the process of building a new sleeper wall and wanted to add some lights onto it to provide some background lightning. I found some surface brick lights at toolstation which for the bill but confused on what cable would be used to wire it. I have attached some pictures of the unit itself and there is no space for swa or sy cable, looks like it needs some sort of flex.

I have a socket in the garden already and was planning on plugging it there.

Any ideas of cable type welcomed.

thanks

6084ACD6-00E4-4F37-8E27-A1540254783A.jpeg A2793E8E-99AE-4169-AD22-0493709CD7DD.jpeg C8AAE6B5-F045-48D6-85EC-1B0080AB1A9B.jpeg 5BBE1A2C-BC47-4B6B-A2D3-6ED3F232A122.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Are you under the impression that you must use a cable with 'an earthed metallic covering'?

Not so if the cable (or your socket) is covered by an RCD.

Are you going to bury the cable?

You will need an outdoor flex. SY cable is flex - flexible cable.

Are you under the impression that you must use a cable with 'an earthed metallic covering'?

Not so if the cable (or your socket) is covered by an RCD.

Are you going to bury the cable?

You will need an outdoor flex. SY cable is flex - flexible cable.

Hi

All lights I’ve installed previously have been done with swa cable. The socket is rcd protected. Cable will be buried to a point and the fitting won’t accept sy cable unless I don’t terminate as normal into a gland

They are designed for round flex, 2 core from the lack of any earth terminals.

SWA is used where mechanical protection is required, or there is no RCD, or both.
SY is not armoured and it's not suitable for use outside either.

Sponsored Links
Are you filling behind the sleeper wall with earth/soil? If yes how far from the surface would be the cable running through to the lights?

Brick lights...be prepared for them to get filled with slugs an all sorts....nothing but trouble

Are you filling behind the sleeper wall with earth/soil? If yes how far from the surface would be the cable running through to the lights?
Hi

Yes, behind the wall will be back filled with soil. The wall is 700mm high and the lights will be placed midway.

You can probably just clip some 2/3 core flex to the back of the sleepers at that level and link through the lights. If you're concerned about the cable being damaged by anyone with a spade then I'd run the cable in some PVC conduit attached to the back of the wall. SWA isn't going to work for reasons already mentioned. It's not ideal but it is what it is and as there is RCD protection it should be fine.

You can probably just clip some 2/3 core flex to the back of the sleepers at that level and link through the lights. If you're concerned about the cable being damaged by anyone with a spade then I'd run the cable in some PVC conduit attached to the back of the wall. SWA isn't going to work for reasons already mentioned. It's not ideal but it is what it is and as there is RCD protection it should be fine.

Thanks Danny

Guessing some outdoor flex would be best. Should this be in 1.0mm or 1.5mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back