Surface Identification! Can Anyone Please Tell Me What Wall Surface This Is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm redecorating a patch of wall in my hall corridor but struggling to know what surface this is so that I can work out how best to fill it.

Does anyone know what it's likely to be?

IMG_2988.JPG IMG_2990.JPG

Maybe some form of concrete, it's pretty tough and feels very dry.

I had prepared it by scraping off all the old plaster & paint, cleaning it and then used Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Primer Sealer ahead of filling it, but when the 123 dried it just peeled straight off.

IMG_2986.JPG

The reason for the project by the way is that the plaster had started to crumble in the corner of the wall (tap it and it just turned to dust) so I have scraped it all off, and I am planning to fill it back up to match with the rest of the wall. It's a Victorian Terrace if that helps.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
fordfocus2003, good evening.

Possibly some sort of cement render?

Has historically some sort of rising damp proofing been installed?

Ken

Evening Ken, thanks for the reply.

It probably is a concrete render from the feel of it.

That's a good question about damp proofing - I'm not sure unfortunately but it is the lower ground floor of the flat so possibly.

I just google rising-damp and noticed something about dry-rods - not sure how common they are but there are a few spots on the uncovered bit of wall that have small circular bits of mortar which I wasn't sure what they were - ironically the 123 stuck better to those bits!

Here's one of them.

IMG_2993.JPG

Overall the wall is very dry.

Sponsored Links
I've just remembered I have some stabilising solution left over that I used on the newly rendered exterior walls outside the front before they were painted.

This might be a good start as it is a similarly dry chalky surface.

Wilko Stabilising Solution Resin Clear 5 litre seals and binds exterior chalky and weathered render surfaces prior to painting with water-based masonry paint.

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/stabilising-primer.157335/

Does anyone know if that's a good or bad idea?

All I want to do is put a thin layer of filler or plaster on top to match the level of the rest of the wall and paint over it. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back