Surface mounting oven socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am planning to temporarily surface mount an oven socket and connection unit. The existing oven is already on its own circuit (32A MCB), although it is not RCD protected.

I am therefore planning to surface mount for now, until I can get an electrician in to add a new circuit under RCD, and then get them to chase everything in.

An electrician has told me that the existing oven cable is fine, but I will need to move it to a new location.

The oven is rated at 20A.

I plan to use the items in the screenshot below, and

- Run the existing cable to the new socket (all surface mounted)
- Run the new 6mm cable to the connection unit (all surface mounted)

I wonder if you guys could please advise on the following:

- Is it as simple as correctly wiring into the socket and unit, or is there something vital that I have not taken into account?

- Should I use heat resistant 2.5mm 3-Core from the oven to the connection unit?

- Do the rest of the materials look right? (I think 20A, surface mounted for 2m, requires 2.5mm, but 4mm if the electrician keeps it and chases it, so 6mm is just a bit of over-engineering)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All looks reasonably good.

Does the present oven not have all these things?

You do not need a new circuit to add an RCD.

Yes 2.5mm² cable will do.

All looks reasonably good.

Does the present oven not have all these things?

Yes 2.5mm² cable will do.

Thanks. Below is a picture of the existing setup. The new oven won't fit in that location, so needs moving to a wall the other side of a door frame.

I had thought about reusing the oven socket, but thought that I might as well replace with new when moving (I'm assuming that the electrician can just replace the back boxes when chasing it all in).

It doesn't show on the photo, but the cable is split where it exits the wall, so I will need to replace that.

You do not need a new circuit to add an RCD.

Thanks. How would this be accomplished? An inline RCD unit between the CU and the oven socket?

v2LAt7sh.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Below is a picture of the existing setup. The new oven won't fit in that location, so needs moving to a wall the other side of a door frame.
Ok. Fair enough.

How would this be accomplished? An inline RCD unit between the CU and the oven socket?
Not in-line as we mean it - stand alone RCD next to the CU or

replace the MCB with RCBO if available and will fit.

Sponsored Links
Not in-line as we mean it - stand alone RCD next to the CU or

replace the MCB with RCBO if available and will fit.

Thanks for clarifying.

It doesn't sound like anything I should be doing, so will have to wait to get somebody in for that. Currently the kitchen sockets are on a circuit with the dining room and bedroom above the kitchen. That circuit is on the RCD. Electrician seemed to suggest that the kitchen should be on its own circuit to comply with regs, so suggested doing that and putting the oven on the RCD as part of it.

EDIT: As this is all going to be surface mounted, should I be using cable glands or something other protection at the cable entry and exit points?

Currently the kitchen sockets are on a circuit with the dining room and bedroom above the kitchen. That circuit is on the RCD.
You might be able to move the cooker MCB so that the RCD covers that as well.

Electrician seemed to suggest that the kitchen should be on its own circuit to comply with regs,
No, but may be beneficial.

so suggested doing that and putting the oven on the RCD as part of it.
Yes.

As this is all going to be surface mounted, should I be using cable glands or something other protection at the cable entry and exit points?
Not on pattress boxes. Just clip cable to wall so they don't move.

Why not just temporarily run a longer cable from the existing cooker switch to the new oven position?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back