Surface water not draining after heavy rain!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we just bought a house and I came home to find it surrounded by water after some very heavy rainfall.
When I say we just bought a house, I mean we got keys last Monday!! See photos below.
We called out rivers agency who left sand bags and then a drainage company who came to clean the gullies.
The house is down a hill surrounded by fields, and is 9 years old. I'm convinced that the last owners who built it never did ANY maintenance!!
The drainage company said we probably need to do some shoring to help with drainage in the future.
Has anyone had any similar issues with surface water not draining (up to 8"in places today) and sorted it out successfully?
The driveway is tarmac.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ye gods :eek:
If there are any drains, ensure they are clear.
Failing that, if the building is badly situated, consider drainage ditches around the perimeter to channel the water away to a lower area.
Where does the water go from the roof downcomers?
John :)

If the TA6 Property Information Form in use in NI is the same as that for England & Wales, there are very specific questions about flooding which the vendor is obliged to answer. If they failed to mention this and you can establish by expert report and neighbour statements etc that this has been an ongoing problem, you will be able to take action against them to recover csosts and damages. Check your household insurance policies for legal expenses cover and speak to your insurer.

John, the down pipes have drain holes and we've cleared them last night after the rain stopped. I've contacted some landscapers who do drainage as well and they will come out to see about getting some ditches/shoring done. What a drama! not even moved in yet, removal company coming tomorrow!!

If the TA6 Property Information Form in use in NI is the same as that for England & Wales, there are very specific questions about flooding which the vendor is obliged to answer
Will have to look into this, as we are still in the process of moving i've sent an email to our solicitor to sound things out.

Sponsored Links
Did you manage to clear the gullies, and did the water there run away?
If it did, you are in with a good chance of success.
Try to determine if the drains connect to main sewerage or just a soakaway, if you can.
If its the former, new drains can be installed in the tarmac which will help greatly.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back