Surface water to foul OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Struggling to solve the problem of a waterlogged clay garden, I’m considering making use of the second connection on a new plastic gully which I intend to install in the course of digging up an old concrete path and resurfacing with paving. The existing clayware gully which is being replaced takes waste water from the kitchen sink and washing machine to the foul drain (my property has separate surface and foul drainage).

My plan is to lay a land drain from the waterlogged part of the garden to the gully’s second connection so that any excess surface water discharges into the foul drainage. A soakaway isn’t practical due to the depth of the clay subsoil.

Would this arrangement be likely to break any water bye laws?

Sponsored Links
Just for the record, I've looked at other sources as well as older posts on this forum which cover similar topics and it appears that yes, this is OK.

Would this arrangement be likely to break any water bye laws?
Ask your water supply company if it is acceptable to them. In most cases it is NOT acceptable but there are exceptions. The main objection is that surface water in sewers overloads pumping stations and / or small sewers and leads to flooding with raw sewage.

It was necessary for Anglian Water to construct a very large underground temporary storage tank to cope with the surges of surface water and sewage that had previously overloaded the village pumping station and flooded houses nearby. All due to new housing developments putting surface water into soil pipes.

The procedure laid down in building regs is that you must investigate a sustainable drainage solution before reverting to other options. Only if a sustainable solution is not technically feasible can you go to surface water drainage - and of that is not feasible then you can go to foul water drainage. But you must show the reasons why the preceding option can't be achieved. Sustainable means a soak away. The rules on soak aways are that they cannot be within 5m of a building or 2m of a boundary. That often rules them out. If you have space then you must carry out a percolation test on the soil. The test will determine if the ground is suitable. As Bernard says, you will need permissions to connect to surface or foul - from both building control and the sewer authority.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both.

As already stated, we're on heavy clay, and I've dug down over a metre before now and still not come to permeable subsoil. So a soakaway simply isn't practical without a mini digger, and there's no access for one in the problem areas.

I noticed whilst digging up some old concrete that a previous occupier( or a contractor working on their behalf) has laid land drainage pipes and terminated them adjacent to slots which they've cut in two clayware gullies; so there will have been some surface water entry at those points, but not as much as my planned connections would introduce.

I'll make the necessary enquiries as advised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back