Surfaces for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to redo a bathroom. One wall doesn't need any work other than re-tiling with some more pleasant tiles. Is it OK to tile over the current tiles? If so, is anything special required?

I've removed the old tiles from the shower area and the wall next to it. These were on plasterboard outside the shower, and a different board inside the shower (maybe a cement-based board, I don't think it is the sort of waterproof board that would be used today). Taking the tiles off has not taken all the old adhesive off with them. Do I need to remove all this? Would it be sensible to replace the whole board anyway - I am leaning towards doing so.

Finally, the floor. The old tiles were loose. Underneath them was/is about 12mm of chipboard (thanks Wimpey homes) and underneath that, floorboards. Obviously the chipboard has to go. Should I keep the floorboards and use ply on top, or bin the floorboards as well?

Sponsored Links
not a very good idea to tile over...weight limits come into the mix ere...

remove the old boards whatever they are, and replace with a cement based backerboard 12.5mm thick...

depends on the state off the orginal floorboards..how bad are they??

wimpey house..no doubt it will probaly be 600mm spacing with your joists have a measure and if so look into sistering these up you will want close to 400mm centres as you can get..

ps chipboard [weetabix] is the worst thing to tile fix onto...

Shame about tiling over, it would have saved quite a bit of effort. There is some chance, based on the one section of plasterboard I've started to remove, that the plasterboard is a double layer. Does that make any difference to the weight carrying capacity?

I've taken the old cement-based boards (supalux) off now.

I can't tell much about the old floorboards or joist spacing yet, as the chipboard is still in the way. I can completely understand why you call it weetabix! I'm amazed it was ever used to tile onto.

A slight update... the plasterboard I've so far had to remove is three overlapped layers, and glue has been used between them in places. Behind all that there is a cardboard matrix, to which it is also glued (and then presumably another 3 layers of plasterboard for the other side of the wall.

I don't know that the tiled wall is built in the same way. If it is, is it likely that it can take more weight so can be tiled over?

Sponsored Links
is your house a mid terrace....

if so the 3 layer are for fire protection..how thick is it..9.5mm or 12.5mm

No, it is detached. The bathroom in question has no external walls - does fire protection kick in in that case?

The one wall's worth of plasterboard I've removed had to go anyway as it will soon be either the back wall of the new shower, or a new doorway.

ok
the matrix carboard your talking about is a load bearing wall...you wont have any stud timber?...

dont dismantle this or damage it...

look to glueing and screwing new cement based backerboard to what you have after removing the old tiles..take it..it will be at least two p/boards so using nomore nails or a grap adhesive stick this to plasterboard and use a min off 50mm drywall screw straight thro all the boards[you will probally need to pilot hole the b/boards first tho so you can get a fixing...

for fire protection a standard 12.5mm plasterboard as a rating off 15minutes so you have 3xtimes this or 2x times this..cementbased b/boards are 30min fire retardent..you will look to replace orginal for like for like.. or more which you will do with c/b/boards..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back