surge protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice that a lot of multi-way extension leads have surge protection built in. Is it possible to get a surge protector which can be permanently wired into the entire mains supply in the house?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is, Hager make MCB sized surge arresters, as do Merlin-Gerin and, I believe, MEM Eaton. These can be installed in an existing Consumer unit, or connected in their own enclosure.

However I would take professional advise or do a LOT of research before installing such devices in an installation as they will need to be rated to the circuits you wish to protect, they are no cheap and installed incorrectly it could be an expensive exersice.

i would stick with the extension leads, especialy for the pc, as some leads you can run the phone line through them.

in a storm i once had one go (high voltage must have come down the phone line), boy did it go bang

if i have had one in the cu it would have done no good

Sponsored Links
you can get socket outlest with the surge built in, but for a PC I'd just stick with the extension leads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back