Surge Protector with its own on/off switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please suggest a Surge Protector extension lead with its own on/off switch rather than having to switch it off at the wall switch for my PCs, printers etc. I currently have an 8 way.

Thanks
JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Belkin do one - I got mine in Staples for £35 - which has eight ways total - six can be turned on/off with a remote control, handy for having behind the telly to disconnect several thigns at once. the other two ways are for things that need to be on all the time

PJ

Thanks for your reply.

I gave up considering the remote control one as I read so many reviews about it being unreliable.

This is for my PCs and I wouldn't have thought that I would need anything on all the time. Would I?

Thanks for help.
James EB

This is for my PCs and I wouldn't have thought that I would need any on all the time. Would I?

Routers and NAS on all the time, usually.

Printers often better left on using internal sleep mode, as every time they power up they use ink or toner on self-cleaning and calibration.

Sponsored Links
I have never really worked out why one uses surge protected sockets for supply to a switched mode power supply which would normally absorb any spikes the problem with any filters used is they all have some earth leakage which can mount up causing the RCD to trip. I may use them where the supply is overhead and using a TT earth system they may have a use with TT earth and overhead supply but not with underground supply and TN earth system with a risk assessment I believe the problem of RCD tripping is more of a problem than spikes on the supply although with some of the devices now sold to send signals over the house ring main that view may need to be modified to stop these silly devices sending RF into my house. But the filter would need to be on the main supply.

I have failed many items with filters when PAT testing where the filters have degraded over time and I also question using filtered sockets when they are not tested on a regular basis the filtered sockets have changeable modules which need changing on a regular basis and clearly the same must apply to filtered extension leads.

Where there are multi outlets to the extension then likely there will only be one filter so to switch off the filter you need to switch off all sockets therefore method would be to switch off at the wall not at the sockets.

I think like plug in RCD's there are some homes on overhead TT supplies where filtered sockets are a good idea but in the main they are sold to get extra money. The retail outlets never seem to ask is your house already RCD protected or is it on overhead TT supply they just push the more expensive produces regardless if needed or not.

Thank you ericmark for such a comprehensive reply. I am afraid I do not understand most of it.

Your reference to turning off at the wall not at the sockets is the key to my current needs. I am looking for a board with its with its own on/off switch for the sockets rather than having to switch it off at the wall switch which is not easily accessible.

I currently have an 8 way Omega Surge Protection Circuit which has to stay on all the time and I want something to be able to turn off. I always turn off the PCs and printers and do not have anything that needs to stay on all the time.

Strangely, the Omega has a light which says Surge Protected When Lit and to my certain knowledge has never been lit.

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Eric, surge protection doesn't usually use filters, but VDRs. If you subject those to a 500 V IR test as part of PAT then you're likely to damage them. Filters need the IR test, surge protection needs the leakage current test.
I'm not convinced that the surge-protected extension leads give any useful protection anyway, sine any surge of sufficient energy to damage a PC is likely to overload the surge protection. I saw a report on them some time ago that said they are a waste of time and money.

Thanks and can you please help me with what I should do.

I need to tidy up my arrangement and I need to be able to turn off a board at the sockets rather than leave it on as at present because the wall switch is not easily accessible.

Thanks for help.
JamesEB

I wouldn't normally suggest daisy-chaining extension leads, but in this case it seems the simplest answer - just plug your 8-way into a single, switched extension lead with the switched socket placed somewhere accessible.

Yes - apparently it is.

As is mentioning the fact.

Bit like those super-injunctions.

Thanks. I would rather not have one inside the other.

Does the light not coming on the Omega mean it is faullty?

I do want to buy a new one (or two) but I understand you to say that a Surge Protector is not a good idea.

Please would you suggest one for me to buy.

JamesEB

I wouldn't worry about the light - it would only come on momentarily during a spike. Just use a standard extension lead.
If you really feel the need to spend extra money on a surge protected lead, buy a Belkin.

Thanks. I know nothing about Surge Protectors but advice on here appears to conclude that they are not useful for my purpose.

I would therefore seem to need an 8 way standard extension lead with its own On and Off switch.

I do need a good one but I have no idea what is good or bad.

Could someone please suggest a good one.

JamesEB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back