Surprising LED behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should know better, but...
Today I bought some bargain-priced dimmable LEDs at Elex. We have a four-spot fitting in the kitchen, run via a Clipsal dimmer about 10 years old. No idea if it is a leading or trailing edge.:oops:
Fitted the LEDs, turned the dimmer on - a brief flash of light and the MCB tripped. Put the halogens back in, reset the MCB, and all worked fine. At this point the senior moment ended and I realised the dimmer is rated for 40 - 400 W, the LEDs 4 W each. :rolleyes: Fitted just one 50 W halogen instead of one of the LEDs, and the same happened. Then I tried 3 halogens and one LED - tripped again!
Now I know I should have checked the dimmer was a trailing edge type, but I'm surprised the LEDs could trip the MCB. I'm also a bit surprised the dimmer survived the abuse. I would have expected flickering or just no output at all, but not a surge of current sufficient to trip a B6.
The supplier checked the LEDs were still working and gave me a refund, but can anyone suggest why the surge of current? It's puzzling me!

Sponsored Links
Very odd. I hardly dare ask, but I presume you are sure that they were LV LEDs? :)

Kind Regards, John

I had to laugh at your question John, since I did check - after fitting them! :oops: They have a very wide voltage range, but it definitely includes 240 V.[/i]

I had to laugh at your question John, since I did check - after fitting them! :oops: They have a very wide voltage range, but it definitely includes 240 V.
:) Well, I had to ask - not the least because I could tell a tale about myself which would require quite a few :oops: :oops: :oops: !!

As you said, the story you tell really makes no sense. Regardless of the primary problem (whatever that might be), I just can't see how you could get enough current through the dimmer to trip a B6 (which is a lot of current if it tripped more-or-less immediately) without totally destroying the dimmer.

Accordingly, if it weren't you, I'd probably be asking whether you were sure that it wasn't a 6A RCBO (or even an RCD) that had tripped!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I just can't see how you could get enough current through the dimmer to trip a B6 (which is a lot of current if it tripped more-or-less immediately) without totally destroying the dimmer.
Also without totally destroying the LED! I don't think the MCB is unduly sensitive, since it doesn't trip with all the lights on that circuit switched on. Poltergeists?

I just can't see how you could get enough current through the dimmer to trip a B6 (which is a lot of current if it tripped more-or-less immediately) without totally destroying the dimmer.
Also without totally destroying the LED!
True - although it's just about conceivable that there was something about the combination of the lamps and your sockets which somehow resulted in an 'external' (to the lamp) L-N short, such that the fault current didn't go through the LED. However, it would still have to go through the dimmer.
I don't think the MCB is unduly sensitive, since it doesn't trip with all the lights on that circuit switched on. Poltergeists?
Indeed. Given that you returned the lamps, I presume there is no real prospect of our ever getting a better answer than that! Had it been me, I think I would probably have experimented a little - e.g. to find out whether it still happened if one removed the dimmer from the equation.

Kind Regards, John

Before issuing a refund the guy at Elex checked each lamp individually by plugging it into his display. All worked fine, and the exhibition hall didn't go dark.

Before issuing a refund the guy at Elex checked each lamp individually by plugging it into his display. All worked fine, and the exhibition hall didn't go dark.
I realise that, which is why I wrote "... something about the combination of the lamps and your sockets which somehow resulted in an 'external' (to the lamp) L-N short ...". Seemingly extremely unlikely - but how else could a lamp which caused an MCB to operate in your hands work perfectly when tested somewhere else?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back