Surrounded by Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently had the displeasure of discovering a leak (second time) which is coming through my kitchen ceiling. the house was built in the 50s and the kitchen roof and most rooms for that matter are artex’d. I’ve not had it tested but I’m worried as the initial leak was years ago and the ceiling is cracked and I’m now worried I’ve been a bit stupid in leaving myself and family potentially exposed to a risk of loose fibres. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 8F062875-00B3-49DA-8CB7-BB3FAD3747AB.jpeg
    8F062875-00B3-49DA-8CB7-BB3FAD3747AB.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 2D7D83FF-F970-433B-9CCD-7F0DE2F496CE.jpeg
    2D7D83FF-F970-433B-9CCD-7F0DE2F496CE.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
A friend of mine has mesothelioma following exposure to asbestos, we used to work with it in the 70’s and 80’s. First of all there is very little that the medical world can do if you have been exposed and it can take 20 to 30 years before any symptoms become apparent. The nhs website has advice on the symptoms that you may experience in 20 years time.

The amounts that the average citizen will come into contact with following an incident with artex, insulation, cement board and the like is miniscule. Plumbers, electricians, boiler makers and other tradesmen are liable to have greater exposure over their lifetime because of their workplace environment.

The best advice in all of these diy scenarios if you are worried is to get the material tested before doing any work. Following the results of a test either get professionals to remove it or seal it and leave it well alone. If you are confident that you know what you are doing wearing an appropriate face mask and disposable overalls and disturbing it as little as possible seal it by painting, overboarding or some other method to encapsulate it. Do not drill into it, crack it or screw into it.

If its left alone and is not flaking, cracking or disintegrating provided you don't disturb it it shouldn’t be a hazard.

If you are having work done in that area or adjacent to it then the person carrying out that work will need to know there may be asbestos present.

I don’t want to get into a long discussion on the types of asbestos and which is worse or how many fibres can be released, the types of vacuum cleaners that can or cannot be used.

If you are concerned get it tested and have it removed.

If its not asbestos or its not been disturbed get on with your life and enjoy it while you can (y)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back