Suspended Ceiling Help....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm a newbie, and as a first time buyer I've come up against a problem in my kitchen.

Having bought a reposessed place, the kitchen is being ripped out and I am starting again - I have everything sorted for units and so on - however I am not sure what to do about the ceiling in the kitchen - it was one of those horrific office style suspended ceilings - now I have ripped that out and the state of the walls and also the effect having a higher ceiling has had on the room (feels taller than it is wide if you get me) has lead me to wanting to put another suspended ceiling in.

What options do I have?

I'm aware that I could simply put up a false plasterboard one - but I was wondering if there are readily available tiles or tongue and groove style ceilings that might be suitable?

I hope I've explained it properly - and look forward to some pearls of wisdom from some enlightened bods :)

Many Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
wether you use timber cladding, upvc cladding or just plain old board'n'skim, you will still need a frame work to support it.

why don't you build the timber frame, then offer up some samples and see what you think.

We had the same problem as you in our bathroom. Ripped out the old ceiling then wanted to replace it. We put in a timber framework and then tongue n groove.. We gave it a good couple of coats of wax and it looks fab! Just take care not to get a nasty 'yellow' pine look to it. Use good oil or wax and if you like a tint or stain such as 'light oak' (if the kitchen can cope with such a dark colour) try a tinted wax. We did it (and we're new to it too) and it looks first class. The trick is to plan it all out well, as with any job, then take your time to get it right. Also, for wood ceiling, must have good ventilation etc or moisture will damage it. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back