Suspended floor in shed/garden studio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a large 7x5 metre shed built in the garden. It's going to be my wife's home office and will have visitors.

The shed is built on top of what are basically railway sleepers (or the new equivalent) so has plenty of breathing space under it. However because it going to be an office I'd like to insulate the floor. I imagine this means I need to build a suspended floor which I can insulate under.

My question is how many joists will I need to put under the suspended floor or rather what the gap needs to be between them?

Many thanks for your help :D :confused:

Sponsored Links
you do realise if it has sleeping accomodation you need planning permission :eek:
although the odd night would probably not be noticed if you keep in with the neihbours:cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

I will go with 400mm gaps.

Think I may have confused the issue mentioning visitors. I meant business visitors during the day rather than friends etc staying over! :LOL:

if its under permitted development it ok but if you ad sleeping accomodation [or plan to sleep in it]it needs planning permission

Thanks for your help.

I will go with 400mm gaps.

Think I may have confused the issue mentioning visitors. I meant business visitors during the day rather than friends etc staying over! :LOL:

yep cleared that up :D :D

i only mention it because so many companies sell garden building and forget to mention that sleeping requires planning ;)

When it comes to the actual insulation, I assume that I will need to leave a gap under this?

So I am left with from the bottom, the original floor, air gap, insulation and finally the new floor?

Is this right, even though there is a big gap under the shed?

Thanks again! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back