Suspension kits on ebay

Sponsored Links
I am still confused why something like this needs to be cut:

Some are designed to be undone with sockets (like this one), some with a torx' key. Remember that these parts are under the car for a long time affected by the elements, rust, heat .... so they don't always come off easily without a fight. Sometimes the threads have fused with the bolts or the bolts or rust now makes it impossible to take bolt off or use a Torx. You could be lucky with an air impact wrench if you happen to have one at home however resigning oneself to the fact that it wont come off easily (early in the removal) could save you a lot of time because you can get it off in a couple of minutes by almost slicing the nut and bolt in half.

While you guys are theorizing, I actually did one. A bicycle spanner or grounded-thin spanner is all it took. I tested a nut splitter, it didn't fit. A smaller one could work.
change-drop-link.png

The ebay part has bigger rubber boot. The dealer part was torn, maybe the boot was too small. The ebay part needs a 17mm spanner to prevent spinning, dealer part 16mm.
size-difference.png

Both parts are identified with the owl in triangle logo. The part numbers are different.
branding.png

Ebay part has imperfection, and could be a reject?
possible-reject.png

Let's have no more dispute on OEM identification. Owl logo on control arm.
more-branding.png

Attachments

• more-branding.png
    more-branding.png
    457.2 KB · Views: 46
I’m not too sure about the theorising, but if the stabiliser hadn’t spanner flats how would you deal with it?
John

Sponsored Links
I said earlier cut ball joint housing and grip ball. Cutting nut will risk damaging the attached component the nut is in contact with.

Another possibility is cut a slot on the bolt and then hold it with flat head screwdriver.

Last edited:
4.5" grinder would be my weapon of choice in such situations (depending on access, obviously). Easy enough to do without damaging the bracket it's attached to.

The "owl" symbol is Lemforder's trademark. An old-established and reputable company, now part of ZF. I'd be happy to use their stuff.

Back