suspension problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my car "upgraded" with G-MAX suspension <50mm problem is its now driving really rough - I have to brace myself for speedbumps or even gravel as the ride is so rough!

can this be improved at all or would it mean returning to the original suspension - it's a Peugeut 306 gti6

thanks

Sponsored Links
gmax are one of the budget suspension kits with no adjustment iirc, to get a much better ride coil overs would be best but they cost a lot more. i found new standard suspension to be a good improvement on my car

yeh I should have got coilovers in the 1st place really. oh well live and learn..cheers!!

Being an older boring git, I would have thought the P306 gti handled pretty well in standard form, by lowering it by 50mm the you have obviously lost a lot of suspension travel. It sounds like you have very little travel left. You live and learn. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
yeh it was fine to begin with looking back !! It was mainly to reduce the gap near the wheel arches - really it was a phase!! like you say - live and learn! :)

I think the manufacturers have (at last) started to realise 6" gaps between wheel and arch isn't that great to look at! :LOL:

Did you upgrade your wheels at the same time? Lowering your tyre profile will also make the ride feel more "solid" over bumps as the tyres flex less and absorb less of the impact.

Any aftermarket lowered suspension will have this sort of effect on your ride as you always have a trade-off: you probably find the car now handles corners better, provided the tarmac is totally flat, but it can't deal with potholes!

If you want to throw £1500 or so at the problem, you could go for an air-system so you can adjust the ride height and park with the wheels right up in the arches, but retain a decent ride quality.

That sounds good adamw with the wheels up in the arches going over a white line and the suspension!!!! wil be hitting the stops. What a waste of money.

johnwr said:
That sounds good adamw with the wheels up in the arches going over a white line and the suspension!!!! wil be hitting the stops. What a waste of money.

Obviously you raise it up for when you are on the move :LOL:

The idea is to give you a similar effect to a hydraulic low-rider set-up, but without turning the car into a lollopping barge when you just want to drive.

What a complete waste of time, it will make you look like a 17 year old chav and ruin a good car as well as spoiling the handling by adding even more weight. :D

johnwr said:
What a complete waste of time, it will make you look like a 17 year old chav and ruin a good car as well as spoiling the handling by adding even more weight. :D

Well, I would like to see a 17-year old chav who has the money and the imagination to make a decent dancing car, but look here to see how NOT to do it :LOL:

Who the hell wants a car that wobbly's about like a jelly on a plate or Jodie Marsh's t*ts. The origonal post was about overly firm suspension, I think you should keep to the origonal theme and not wonder off into fantasy world. :D
regards johnwr

Those were extreme examples of low-riders! :LOL: If you did that in the street, what could the police charge you with I wonder?

Now, most people, despite their claims to the contrary, change their suspension for AESTHETIC reasons, not handling. In the same way that alloy wheels are not generally employed due to the reduction in unsprung mass they offer, but rather because they look nice.

In the Kustom world, many people fit air suspension systems to their cars, not to make their car jump about, but in order to allow the car to be "slammed" when parked up, "low" when cruising and "normal" when just out doing their normal business.

So, if the original poster wished to have excellent ride quality with the option of easily lowering the car at the flick of a switch, air suspension is THE ONLY way to accomplish it. Seeing as he was complaining of poor ride quality, "its now driving really rough", and obviously likes the low-look, "<50mm", this is the kind of system that would benefit him.

yeh cheers Adam - I reckon that the info you have given is spot on - not going to spend any more on this particular car but definatley something to bear in mind for future!

thanks again!

pah , buy a citropen with hydropneumatic suspension.
Set it to the lowest setting when parked, all wheels dissappear into arches, lower than most things you'll see. can even drive it les sthan 10mph like that...50mm ground clearance!
then when you go over 10mph it resets it self!

well wicked innit! :rolleyes:

dabaldie said:
pah , buy a citropen with hydropneumatic suspension.
Set it to the lowest setting when parked, all wheels dissappear into arches, lower than most things you'll see. can even drive it les sthan 10mph like that...50mm ground clearance!
then when you go over 10mph it resets it self!

well wicked innit! :rolleyes:

Oil tanker !! (oil-)Can leave behind a mighty oil slick with all those worn seals from there, everything slides to a rapidly upending wallet PDQ !
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back