Suspicious about extension Certificate of Completion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some concerns about our single storey extension, for which we have received the Certificate of Completion (Signature appears to be photocopied rather than signed.):

1. Contractor applied for Building Notice, not Full Plans. Is this suitable for work such as an extension?

2. The application was submitted several days after work had already begun. The foundation had already been dug and may even have been filled in at the time of application.

3. Our roof had been leaking around the rooflights. Five roofers independently confirmed that there is no fall (no firings) and that only one layer of green mineral felt used. How could LABC surveyor have passed off the job with such a roof?

4. I have since discovered that electrician used by contractor was not NICEIC registered, despite contractor saying he was. We received no self-certificate from the electrician but contractor said that electrics are all covered by the Certificate of Completion anyway. Council denied this when I asked. Who is correct?

5. To top matters off, the name of the LABC surveyor that the contractor said he used, does not appear on the LABC website list of their surveyors. (Another builder told me this surveyor is from a diffferent borough and 'can be bought off with a bottle of whisky.' Even when taken with a pinch of salt, that doesn't inspire me with confidence.)

Taking all the above into account (especially point 3), how meaningful/trustworthy is the CoC? Is it possible there was any foul play?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
1. It can be done, but it's unwise as you take full responsibility for doing the works to comply with the Regulations, but you haven't had plans approved by LABC

2. Naughty but happens. Notice has to be given to allow the works to be inspected at certain times though.

3. What makes you think the LABC surveyor even saw the roof?

4. For Patrt P of Building Regs the LABC completion cert should suffice if electrical work was included on the building notice. However you should still have the BS7371 certificates (minor works or installation as appropriate)

5. Who's issuing the certificate - your LABC or another authority as an approved verifier? Check with your LABC if the cert's worried.

If the job's that shoddy then a leaky roof and no certificate is the least of your worries. I'd be more worried about collapsing walls.

Sponsored Links
5. To top matters off, the name of the LABC surveyor that the contractor said he used, does not appear on the LABC website list of their surveyors. (Another builder told me this surveyor is from a diffferent borough and 'can be bought off with a bottle of whisky.' Even when taken with a pinch of salt, that doesn't inspire me with confidence.)

Do you have any contact details for him? Phone number? E-mail? Prefered brand of whisky?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back