SWA cable into MCB

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in a SWA cable to run 4 garden lights and a shed light.

I'm running it back to the CU via a metal clad box. Will it be OK to connect To it's own 6A MCB?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Possibly.
What size SWA cable are you using?
Is any of the cable run concealed less than 50mm from a surface?
I guess you will not be installing a socket on this circuit.!

Have you notified the local authority? A new circuit and outside wiring are both notifiable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies!

Everything is buried about 18" below ground and then runs below the floor in the house. The cable then comes up directly under the CU, runs up the wall and to the metal clad box adjacent to the CU.

The cable size is 1.5mm and the length of run is approx 20-25m.

I was thinking of adding a waterproof socket in the shed for the lawnmower.

BCO aware as all part of new extension.

How many cores in the cable?

How will the garden lights be controlled separately from the shed light?

You would probably be better off having one cable doing the garden lights, and a larger one feeding the shed, with a small consumer unit or some form of fused spur unit supplying light and socket.

There are 2 cables, 1 runs directly to the shed for a small light and a separate one runs to the 4 garden lights.

Both cables are 1.5mm 3 core SWA.

I still haven't made the connection to the CU as I wasn't too sure the best way of doing this with the 2 cables.

I've added a waterproof RCD socket in the shed. Could I use a 6A MCB for the cable going to the garden lights and a 32A MCB for the socket and light in the shed?

Thanks

I still haven't made the connection to the CU as I wasn't too sure the best way of doing this with the 2 cables. [
With 2 glands.

Could I use a 6A MCB for the cable going to the garden lights and a 32A MCB for the socket and light in the shed?
Yes and no.

Use a 16 or 20A MCB for the circuit to your shed. 32A is too much for 1.5mm SWA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back