Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having a car charger installed.

The organisational process is complex - I talk to the project co-ordinator, who talks to the technical manager, who talks to the installing company.

The project co-ordinator has raised the issue that the installers might need to do some groundwork.so it seems helpful if I have some basic understanding of what's needed to keep things simpler.

We currently have an SWA cable, surface run, clipped to a wall which feeds a double socket in the carport that we charge our car from.

The technical manager seems to think that the SWA cable for the new charger needs to be buried.

...so my question is:

In general, could an SWA cable (I'm guessing 6 or 10mm, I'm guessing 32 amp) running from the meter, 15-20m length, be surface run?
What is the general criteria for that being possible (and it not needing to run buried)

Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated, Stephen

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I'm having a car charger installed.

The organisational process is complex - I talk to the project co-ordinator, who talks to the technical manager, who talks to the installing company.

The project co-ordinator has raised the issue that the installers might need to do some groundwork.so it seems helpful if I have some basic understanding of what's needed to keep things simpler.

We currently have an SWA cable, surface run, clipped to a wall which feeds a double socket in the carport that we charge our car from.

The technical manager seems to think that the SWA cable for the new charger needs to be buried.

...so my question is:

In general, could an SWA cable (I'm guessing 6 or 10mm, I'm guessing 32 amp) running from the meter, 15-20m length, be surface run?
What is the general criteria for that being possible (and it not needing to run buried)

Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated, Stephen
There is no requirement per se to bury SWA, it all depends on the situation and available cable routes.

At the end of the day it all down to the person signing the paperwork to say (s)he's designed, installed and tested.

There is no requirement per se to bury SWA, it all depends on the situation and available cable routes.

At the end of the day it all down to the person signing the paperwork to say (s)he's designed, installed and tested.
Thank you, much appreciated

If the swa is surface run on a solid wall, (brick or concrete), then this is an acceptable method. I t must not be fixed to such things as a wooden fence or simply strung across a gap with no support or below a certain height.
If the co-ordinator has suggested they may need to do some groundworks get him to clarify the installers opinion. He is supposed to be co-ordinating/managing the project so should be finding this information out to avoid problems before they arise.

Sponsored Links
If the swa is surface run on a solid wall, (brick or concrete), then this is an acceptable method. I t must not be fixed to such things as a wooden fence or simply strung across a gap with no support or below a certain height.
If the co-ordinator has suggested they may need to do some groundworks get him to clarify the installers opinion. He is supposed to be co-ordinating/managing the project so should be finding this information out to avoid problems before they arise.
Thank you - I didn't realise about the height restriction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back