SWA for 130-180m distance?

Cheers chaps for the info.

I like to do a job right and not cut corners.

Is there any online stores that sell 50mm cable to see how much it will cost so I know if my local dealers aren't going to overcharge me like they have done before.

If I don't sort out the cable now I have no problem in running piping down the trench and fitting the cable at a later date and let the spark play with it.

Sponsored Links
Denmans have quoted me today a price for 50mm2 3 core SWA

(based on 180m)

£5.55/m, plus VAT.

IE £1173.83 all in.

Does that include delivery? And if so, to what exact spot? Any idea how much 180m of 50mm SWA weighs?

Sponsored Links
No, ban, that price is for collection, it comes on a huge wooden spool, but I'm not sure what it would weigh.

Could it be 1.5 kg/m?

If you ask Denmans nicely and are not too remote, I'm sure they would deliver.

I really am beginning to think that a separate supply from the DNO could well be cheaper....

considering 6mm seems to be about 1.90 a meter (in short lengths admittedly) that price really isn't bad for a cable nearly 10 times the size

also bear in mind bas that a seperate supply from the rec/dno (we all know they are really still the same firm and they are just faking a seperation to please regulators) will have ongoing extra costs either in the form of standing charges or in the form of a higher per unit rate (im pretty sure most tarrifs without standing charges will either charge more per unit period or will have a higher price for the first so many units)

Cheers for that info and sting it will be to the wallet.

Anyway, I've ran piping along the trench, roped and all for when the cable is to be fitted or fitted if I find another method of electrical supply but I've it ready just encase.

£1000+ for the cable is more than what I was expecting but if its required then so be it.

A seperate supply maybe an option but since I pay 3 seperate electric bills already, one more is to-many especially when you don't get discount.

Cheers for the help guys.

Wonder what the sparky will say when I want him to fit 150-180m of 50mm swa. My local guys will probably wonder what the hell I'll want with that.

Darkness said:
Wonder what the sparky will say when I want him to fit 150-180m of 50mm swa.

I know what I'd say. I wouldn't have the first clue how to go about hauling in that length of cable of that cross section. I honestly don't think I'd be physically capable and I'd simply have to turn the job down.

Good luck!

securespark said:
Hmmm. What diameter is your duct? 100mm Soil pipe?

5-6" I think sewage pipe. I've a field full of the piping so I ran it down there instead.

It gives me the option if for some reason I want to run other cable etc in the future, you never know.

Also I knew the cable would be large in diameter so the more room the better. The trench was a nice straight run so no bother with the piping.

Some might think this was stupid but the piping cost me nothing so not loosing any thing.

idealy you should have 2 runs, one for mains etc, the other for selv, i.e telephone, data

I have another trench not far from the one I just did and its for the water mains so I might just throw somw piping maybe smaller 2-3inch piping down it and have it for future cables of some sort.

Trenchs aren't filled in yet so still a day or two for mods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back