SWA set in concrete? w/pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an SWA cable being put down under my patio, which happens to be quite low and needs to be built up on a bed of concrete, with a sand/cement mix going on top.

I've already found a previous post that mentioned concrete has corrosive type effects on SWA cable, so I'm just wondering how to do this? If it's not okay to lay SWA in a concrete mix, is it okay to lay SWA within a sand/cement mix instead?

swa1.jpg

The picture shows the SWA coming out in a mix of stones. This is where the concrete bed was going to be poured over.

Thanks,

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Why not run the swa in a length of pvc conduit? then if needs be you can remove/replace the cable.
;)

Because the cable comes up vertically and PVC conduit cannot bend very easily.

I need a proper reply please regarding concrete and SWA.

Simon.

Multiplex said:
yes it does

Multiplex said:

Simon.
i thought it was a reasonable reply.

as i said plastic conduit bends very easily, only thing is, dont think yor cable will fit easily down a20mm conduit

try push fit waste pipe instead

Sponsored Links
Any exposed sections you might worry about could just be tape wrapped. (gaffer tape or similar) Mind you, I'm not aware of SWA and cement, even with strong lime mortars, having any deleterious effect.

Multiplex said:

Simon.

Sorry if my answer did not live up to your expectations Simon :cry:

Maybe some planning "before the job" and you might not have to resort to getting "proper" replies!!!! :)

Found some flexible 20mm conduit. Here's the finished job, before the concrete goes down:

pic2.jpg

Simon.

He'll see the box on the wall, and lift that slab first. Not really a problem as the cable route is visible.

I don't see why you couldn't have just kept it buried until it needs to rise to the wall.

And I can't see any warning tape near the top of the cable, unless you've been neat with it's burial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back