Swap RCD and Main Switch in consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a good deal on a Volex split load consumer unit in B&Q. However i need to put the main switch on the right and RCD on the left opposite to its current configuration. Obviously i can move the live sticker on the 2 pole switch to the other pole. But can i do the same on the RCD?. In essence are the left and right sides of the RCD elecrically identical? so it will still function correctly.

Sponsored Links
You ought to contact electrium technical and ask them if the CU is suitable for doing this with...

Personaly, I'd just take it back and get a hager board ;)

I would assume the Main Switch on the original board is on the right and they don't fancy replacing the tails.

Sponsored Links
maybe, maybe not. I want him to tell us.

Keith you are correct the tails are to short to reach to the left of the CU. Also I only have a width of 350mm from meter to wall so the MK equivalent will not fit. The cu is loaded with 10MCB's and a 63A RCD at £40. I currently only need 7 circuits so i could try to find an 8 way, but these seem to be sold bare and with breakers and RCD comes in at around £140. Also the man in B&Q with the trusty neon screwdriver :LOL: told me that the regs may soon require all circuits to be on RCD. Hence i need a couple of spare ways to carry and extra RCD in future.

Thanks for all your help. I think i will just buy a wylex 9 way at screwfix which is assembled with the main switch on the right. And yes John i could have the tails replaced but that would mean breaking the meter seal instead of just the house fuse seal. Just out of interest i think the problem with swapping the feeds on an RCD would be the way the test button and resistor is wired internally.

i could have the tails replaced but that would mean breaking the meter seal

Not necessarily as you could replace the tails with new ones that would be long enough to reach meter. But use a service connector (henley) to join the new and old tails. Then call your electricity provider to connect new tails to meter.

or if you like isolators (opinions differ) you could use that, old tails in top, new tails out bottom.

Once again thanks for the advice people. Would you believe there is a Screwfix trade counter in my town and i have been using my local diy shed. Wylex 9 way split is purchased with breakers, isolator on correct side configured like this.

non RCD
Dedicated fridge freezer socket in 2.5 radial 16A MCB or should this be smaller
Lighting 6A MCB
Lighting 6A MCB

RDC
Electric hob 6mm radial (7m) 32A MCB
Kitchen Ring main 2.5mm 32A MCB
Ring main 2.5mm 32A MCB

Does this configuration sound ok?

Once again thanks for the advice people. Would you believe there is a Screwfix trade counter in my town and i have been using my local diy shed. Wylex 9 way split is purchased with breakers, isolator on correct side configured like this.

non RCD
Dedicated fridge freezer socket in 2.5 radial 16A MCB or should this be smaller
Lighting 6A MCB
Lighting 6A MCB

RDC
Electric hob 6mm radial (7m) 32A MCB
Kitchen Ring main 2.5mm 32A MCB
Ring main 2.5mm 32A MCB

Does this configuration sound ok?
Yep!

Would you believe there is a Screwfix trade counter in my town and i have been using my local diy shed.
It's quite believable, as ScrewYou warehouses are everywhere now, but I'd still rather buy a CU from Ronald McDonald in an Asda car park.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back