Swap single blub for strip lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garage I have a single ceiling rose which is wholly inadequate to actually see anything but directly below it!

I want to change to 2 x 5ft strip lights which should help spread the light around a little more.

What do I need to do to change over - do I need some sort of junction box where the current single light is and then the strips come off either side of that, or do the strips sort of "chain together" with regard wiring.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can do it either way.

Imo I would use a junction box and then go to each fitting.

If you chain them together or "Through Wire" then you should comply with Regs 559.6.2. This is a common sense reg as the internal workings of a flourescent fitting can get very hot and if your not careful or use heat resistance cable or sleeving then you can severely damage the cable.

Finally though it's just 2 x 5ft fittings make sure you have enough capacity on the existing circuit to take them.

You/ve already got the junction box (ceiling rose) fitted.
Just remove the pendant fitting from the existing ceiling rose and run a separate T+E or 3core cable to each 5' strip from there innit :D

Thanks for that.

Would you know of a link to a suitable wiring diagram for this setup please? I have googled around but not sure if what I have found exactly shows the situation.

Or if using the existing rose a quick run down of what I connect to what on each strip light or is it as simple as picking up on the cable to the lamp itself and running into new fittings?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It is as simple as that. You are running T+E cable (1 or 1.5mm T+E) connected to the outer two connector blocks on the ceiling rose these being the switched live returnung from the light switch and neutral. The earth of course should be connected.
Although the work is not notifiable to your local authority you should still have your additions tested for safety and compliance with regards to protecting yourself and the adapted circuit :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back