spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i have stripped a room back to brick and ceiling is stripped. At present it has a single light in middle of ceiling and single switch. Can a sparky change this to spotlights and double switch so some lights on some off. Just wondered if this was an easy job for them to do with what electrics already in the room.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I love rooms that are back to brick and with the ceiling joists exposed - makes the wiring a doddle. Yes, what you're asking for will be easy to do.

PJ

It's an easy job, but while you've got an electrician there you should have him install the other lighting you'll need if you want to actually light the room.

Sponsored Links
I disagree. Spotlights with some nice uplighters will light a room superbly. And if you get the spotlights that tilt you can highlight certain things in the room. I have 8 50w low voltage downlights in my 6mx4m extension with 5 uplighters on the wall. The room is well lit and is also adjustable (can have on wall uplighters or downlighters or both). I liked them so much i put 4 downlights and 4 wall uplighters in another downstairs room( 4 uplighters and 4 spotlights) in a 4m x3m room

But whatever you decide, DONT stick with a standard pendant, with an energy saver bulb in them,they are rubbish

But whatever you decide, DONT stick with a standard pendant, with an energy saver bulb in them,they are rubbish

HOWEVER

To light a room with a pendant and energy saver lamp = 11watts

Six downlights @ 50watts = 300watts
plus
4 uplights at 50watts each = another 200watts

So thats HALF A KILOWATT to light a room

I don't know how much you pay for your energy, or if you even care about where the icebergs have gone, but that would be a crazy option.

It has been discussed in another thread regard to the environment, cost etc.

A single pendant with an energy saver bulb is very cheap to run, but they dont produce enough light. With my downlighters and wall uplighters i find my room is lit lovely

So as long as you are prepared to pay the extra cost and are not worried about the icebergs melting (ie the enviornment) then spots and wall uplighters win hands down. Its down to individual choice

It is 8 downlights (50W)and 5 wall lights (60w) which makes a total of 700W or nearly 3/4 Kilowatt in a 6m by 4m room. I dont always have the spots and wall lights on at the same time, it depends on my mood and what i am doing, but when they are all on its a lovely bright room and worth every penny of the electric it costs!!!

It has been discussed in another thread regard to the environment, cost etc.

A single pendant with an energy saver bulb is very cheap to run, but they dont produce enough light.

OK. My house is lit by just over 200 watts of light, including the outside light.

Living room: 15 watt PENDANT with nice shade. Two 7 watt plaster uplighters. Switched seperately. Enought light to read by etc. Also have a 15 watt standing lamp for when i need a bit more light.

Kitchen: Two x twin 13 watt downlights. One pendant over the dining table, 20 watt globe. VERY bright room.

Under the stairs: 9 watt batten.
Bottom of stairs: 9 watt surface mount fitting.
Top of stairs: 20 watt pendant.
Btahroom: 18 watt surface fitting.
Both bedrooms: 11 watt pendants. Bedside light in my bedroom, 9 watts.
Outside: a twin 11 watt bulkhead.

And I dont bump into things, stub my toes, have poor eyesight etc. The house is very well lit, not a single downlighter in sight.

And if a single pendant doesnt produce enough light, why not have two? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back