Swapping ceiling rose for downlights & adding new lights on a separate switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Folks,

I just wanted to get some advice on the best to way to set up my new lighting for our bedroom.

Currently we have a ceiling rose on a switch, that is all. The room is roughly 2.8m x2.8m. We have access in the loft to do the wiring.

We would like to have, downlights in the main part of the bedroom running off the original switch, with 2 downlights in the alcove on a separate switch so the mrs can be illuminated while she is doing her make up over the dresser....

How many downlights would you suggest for the main room and of what watts?

Whats the best way to get this wired up? Where would I use junction boxes etc

Hope this makes sense but if not will answer your Qs as best I can

thanks in advance, Rob

Sponsored Links
That you ask "how many downlights" shows that you realise you'll need a number of them. And the reason for needing far more than you need with a "traditional" pendant light is that downlights are not very good at doing the job you want them to do, i.e. light up the room.

They are also unpleasant to have shining into your eyes when you're in bed, and a faff to install with all the sealing and insulation covering needed.

I really would urge you to reconsider, and keep the (presumably roughly central) pendant. Maybe add a couple of wall-washer uplights either side of the bed, or use adjustable spots there if one of you likes to read when the other is asleep, then you'd be benefiting from the nature of that type of light, not suffering from it.

I can understand that the existing light is no good for applying makeup in an alcove, but I'm not sure that overhead downlights would make things better, as they're likely to provide uneven lighting, and could generate shadows on her face from brows, nose etc.

There's probably a good reason why the system used by "professionals", be they makeup artists or actors doing there own has always been lights around the mirror shining directly forward onto the face.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=makeup+mirror

How you do it will depend a lot on how your existing lighting is wired.

You first need to understand how lighting circuits work. If you don't have the knowledge then you are doomed to many months being slagged off on forums (or should it be fora) like this.

Here's your starter for 10.
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Single-way-lighting
Compare what is on the WIKI with what you have got, then draw out a revised circuit plan.
Happy to answer questions once you get to that point, but you aren't going to get a blow by blow account on here.

PS As you can guess, BAS is not a downlight's greatest fan. Each to his own, really. But he does raise a good point; once you have turned your ceiling into something resembling swiss cheese then a lot of your heat is goinmg to escape into the loft. personally I like the heat to be in the room.
To stop this, you'll need to find downlights that can be covered by loft insulation, or be prepared to shell out as much again as the downlights cost for special "loft caps" or enclosures that go over the downlights.

Sponsored Links
BAS seems to have an extensive knowledge on the best lighting for applying make up, does BAS become Brenda on a Saturday night :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back