Swapping from a gas hob to an electric ceramic hob

You cant design for all.
No, but you can, and must, design appliances which are at the heart of a place of work, and absolutely vital to the work which takes place there, in ways which do not include subordinating the functionality of them to their appearance.

Its a mass market.
There's no reason why the masses have to have their appliances compromised by idiot designers with screwed up priorities.

Lift the pan, adjust, replace pan.
1) Can be very inconvenient - large, quality pans can be quite heavy, even empty.

2) With the base of the pan overlapping the knob there's a good chance it will be damaged by heat spread.

Sponsored Links
Weighing up whether to go with a cheapo or a neff glass gas thing.
Bit of a problem with that Neff glass thing.

With a to-scale representation of a large frying pan centred over one of the front rings:

t307352.jpg
Very well spotted / thought out! Annoying as it's one that I found most attractive.

What I've found is my current cutout is 55cm x 48cm, it's quite an old stainless hob (brand begins with b but escapes me, not bosch or beko).
Ideally I want something I can drop in as the gas man will only want to wait around for me so long, but it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace my jigsaw (it died a while ago) and hack it up in situ while he waits. The neff one is a reported 56x49cm , I found an AEG one that john lewis reckon is 55cmx47cm but when I rang the store the chap measured it and said otherwise.

I don't suppose (I'm pretty sure I know the answer!) it's legal for me to turn the isolator valve on the hob's pipework, check no gas comes out and then disconnect it myself so I can do all the prep work ready for the gasman?

Sponsored Links
Bugger, it previously looked like that but the gasman changed it when I did the kitchen so it was hard piped, unless it's more to do with the connection to the hob than the material of the piping?

b*****r, it previously looked like that but the gasman changed it when I did the kitchen so it was hard piped, unless it's more to do with the connection to the hob than the material of the piping?

Thats because he did the job properly, flexible pipes and bayonet fittings are not allowed on hobs.
The manufacturer does say they are allowed , I remember the gasman pointing this out but advising to go hard-piped, looks like he's also fitted an isolator which makes it very tempting to turn off and remove the hob so I can prep the worktop with plenty of time. But ho-hum if it's dangerous I'll leave it he's a nice enough bloke he might not mind waiting around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back