swapping old Honeywell thermostat for digital salus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just purchased a salus rt500 rf thermostat to replace old style Honeywell thermostat, my problem is that the salus requires live and neutral feed . My honeywell only has 3 wires connected live, switch live and neutral (thermostat has anticipator)

My salus has 4 connections No, com, live, and neutral would I be able to wire switch live to No
live to com
neutral to neutral
and take a live from the com terminal

or do I need a separate feed for the unit?

Thanks[/b][/i]

Sponsored Links
No, you need the correct thermostat.

Get yourself another Honeywell, or a DT92e and isolate the neutral wire and make it safe.

Salus are cheap for a reason.

Thanks Dan

Will look into the model you recommend, how are they powered? The only reason why I want a wireless is my thermostat is in the hall way where the air temp is a lot cooler than the rest of the house and would be a pain to re-wire to another room

just looked at the dt92e which need's to have its own main's power which is the problem I have with the salus?

No, you need the correct thermostat.

Get yourself another Honeywell, or a DT92e and isolate the neutral wire and make it safe.

Salus are cheap for a reason.

Well, its not really about being cheap is it!? you can get 3 wire and 4 wire stats from most manufacturers, with the 4 wire ones not being compatible with the 3 wires etc etc.... Salus are cheap, and they work if you get the right one for the job in hand.

Sponsored Links
I only have 3 wires L SL AND N (which was for anticipator) if I isolate the neutral I will only have 2 wires
L, and SL so how can I power a wireless thermostat? The wiring diagram for the DT92E is the same as for the Salus?

Thanks for advice

Salus are pants.

OP, all wireless stats will need their own power supply.

Are you wanting to put the receiver box where the current unit is?

Ideally you should site that near the wiring centre with all the other controls.

Im not trying to be funny. I just liken stuff to cars. you get your cheapo ones and then there's the bentleys and rollers...they all work though. Some just last longer, others cost a fortune and then theres the ones which are more popular and cost effective!

I did once run a 4 wire roomstat on a 3 wire system with the live doubled up as the supply and common. It worked overnight until i got the right one the next day. The main issue was when the heating was off, the roomstat was dead too and took a couple of mins to gather itself once the heating came on. Too long like that and im sure it would have failed

Sorry if i have not been clear, basically what i wanted to know was if I could take a supply from the 3 wires that I had available as I have N, L and switch live. If i have to run separate cable for its own supply then I might as well move the thermostat

Thanks everybody

bhm1712 if my controller was set to manual permanently then would I have a permanent live? and operate my heating via the thermostat?

Dan think I will look into what you said and do it properly. just thinking theoretically I'm just interested

BHM1712

I have wired it in this morning replacing the old thermostat and the control set to manual so permanent live from there, now operating my heating via thermostat all working no problem (so far)

Thanks for input :D

no worries, i knew it would work :)

I would consider swapping it out at some point in the near future though!!

all the best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back