Replacing Sunvic TLX 4101 with Salus RT500ROF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to replace my old Sunvic thermostat with a wireless Salus one. The current thermostat is located in my living room (4m from the boiler). Boiler's wires are hard to access so there is no way that I could fit Salus thermostat near to the boiler.

Sunvic do not require 230V mains - unlike to Salus. There is no 230V mains near to the Sunvic thermostat but there is a light switch (fused - 6A) about 20cm from the thermostat.

The question is: can I wire Salus to the light switch Live (brown) and Neutral (blue) and then the other 2 wires from Sunvic (black and brown) to No and Com (Salus)?

Thans for any comments

Sponsored Links
What you propose is a bodge. If you've 2 wires why not install a Honeywell CM901/907? It switches by battery power. As long as your wires can handle 240V ac.

I was looking something wireless and I found some products from Sunvic or salus on google. I already both salus one. What's the danger from connecting it to light switch?

Sponsored Links
The question is: can I wire Salus to the light switch Live (brown) and Neutral (blue) and then the other 2 wires from Sunvic (black and brown) to No and Com (Salus)?
NO!

On a light switch the brown is usually live and the blue is usually a switch wire / switched live! In this case your stat wouldn't work!

The wireless unit should be fitted near the boiler where there is always a mains supply.
The wireless stat would go wherever you want to put it.

If you happen to have a combi with a graslin timer you could fit a salus RT500BC These things are under £50 and fit where your old timer was.
After a bad start. Salus have upped their game a bit and are now knocking out a much better product.

So if I connect it to wall socket then all should be ok (I need to drill through piece of wood between the plaster boards)?

What's the difference between the wires on the switch and on the wall socket?

I have done a quick test: I've connected the wire to the switch. On the other end of the wire I've connected a bulb. The bulb lights up with the switch being on/off. So looks like that the wires are permanently live. Is this mean that I can connect the receiver?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back