Swapping out an old Honeywell thermostat for a new one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What seemed like a good idea at the time has turned into a real problem!
We have an old Honeywell room thermostat - not sure of the actual model but this is a picture:
PXL_20231021_183851895.jpg

It was working ok - we are just about to decorate the room and decided it would be good to replace it with a more modern looking one.
I disconnected it from the circuit and made a note of the wiring. The colours seemed a bit wrong but it worked and so assumed it must be right.
PXL_20231021_114737300.jpg

Note wires are only connected to 1, 4 and 3 and looking from the back we can see the colours:
PXL_20231021_140916212.jpg

So Blue is on 1; Yellow on 4 and Red on 3

Looking on the diagram inside the cover, we can see that 1 is Live; 4 is the switched Neutral and 3 is the Neutral.

PXL_20231021_183800846.jpg

This is where I think the colours are wrong as I would have expected Red to be Live but it works so must be correct.

I intend to replace this with a Drayton Combi-stat RTS8, the wiring for this is:
PXL_20231021_191548187.jpg

So, I connected the Red wire to N; Yellow to 3 and Blue to L. Turned on the power and when turning the dial right up to 30 nothing happens - the boiler doesn't fire.
PXL_20231021_183728265.jpg

I put a meter on L and N and it showed 240V but when putting it on L and 3 is showed nothing. To test the unit, I disconnected and measured the resistance between L and 3 when turned to 0 degrees - it showed no connection but when turned up to 30 it showed 0 ohms, so I believe the unit works.

I did also connect the wires to a ring mains tester and it said the L & N were reversed, so I swapped the Red and Blue wires round but all that did was blow the main heating circuit fuse!

I don't see what is wrong - wish I hadn't started!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just to add a bit more info. I have just attached the common probe of my multimeter to earth and then in turn connected each wire to the positive probe. The red wire returns a voltage - 244V while the others (yellow and blue) return no voltage. This tells me that the Red wire is indeed the Live but it was wired to the N on the Honeywell and as I said when I reversed blue and red on the Drayton (so red was connected to L) it tripped out the heating circuit :confused: very much confused

Those original wiring colours are definitely confusing, and the schematics aren't much better! :)

I'm afraid your assumptions are incorrect.
Looking on the diagram inside the cover, we can see that 1 is Live; 4 is the switched Neutral and 3 is the Neutral.
Your original stat is connecting together terminals 1 (Blue) and 3 (Red), when it is calling for heat.

1 Should be Live (currently Blue)
3 Should be Switched Live (N/O - currently Red)
4 is an optional switched Live (N/C - yellow)

(In practice, with this setup, it doesn't matter which way the live and switched lives are connected)

You don't appear to have a Neutral at all; that would have been connected to terminal 2.

However, it would be worth investigating where the other end of this cable is connected, to give a definitive answer (if these are all switched or live wires, I wouldnt have expected a trip).

For now, you can try and connect Red to L, Blue to 3 on your new stat and keep the yellow safely isolated in a separate terminal block.
Then see what happens.

Edit:
Actually use Blue to 2, as per Drayton's two-wire spec.

Screenshot_20231022-194447_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

PXL_20231021_183800846.jpg
I'd have thought 1 is Live, 2 is Neutral (for the booster heater), 3 is Switched Live (to load). 4 is Live when the stat not calling, but isn't used here.

In Figs 5 and 6, I assume the thin line round the outside represents the outline of the box, not a wire, or it would be a short from L to N. Confusing or what?

I'd have thought 1 is Live, 2 is Neutral (for the booster heater), 3 is Switched Live (to load). 4 is Live when the stat not calling,
Yes, correct, but in this case, 2 (Neutral) isn't being used..

Screenshot_20231024-142629_Chrome.jpg

In Figs 5 and 6, I assume the thin line round the outside represents the outline of the box, not a wire, or it would be a short from L to N
Yes. But what is more confusing (and what I've seen plenty of times before on here), is the schematic showing a nameless 'box'...

Screenshot_20231024-143105_Chrome.jpg

Many, as with the OP can see the N and don't realise that the box represents the boiler/load, with neutral connected to one side and switched live to the other.
And so we get the mistaken ...
we can see that 1 is Live; 4 is the switched Neutral and 3 is the Neutral.

Yes, correct, but in this case, 2 (Neutral) isn't being used..
Yes, I hadn't noticed that. So the booster wasn't being used, giving in theory greater hysteresis.
Presumably the system needed a live output when the stat not calling. If so, could be problem with the new stat, as it doesn't have changeover contacts.

Many, as with the OP can see the N and don't realise that the box represents the boiler/load, with neutral connected to one side and switched live to the other.
That's right. Calling it LOAD in Figs 5 and 6 helps, better to show a part dotted wire, to indicate it's remote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back