Sway bar link bracket offset on new strut,,,???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted new struts, bottom arms and tie rod ends on my mk2 ford focus,,, the car had a slight rattle on the front end when going over small bumps or holes in the road before the parts were fitted,,, now it is rattling a lot more,,,the drivers side strut I put on had a sway bar link rod bracket that was offset,,, the struts I took off had the brackets at 9 o clock on the drivers side strut and 3 o clock on the passenger side strut,,,the new one I put on the drivers side had the bracket set about 10 o clock and it makes the position of the link rod look unnatural and twisted a little,,,has anyone had any experience of this with offset brackets,,, ???,,, I think maybe the car needs new link rods and sway bar bushes but was wary of the offset bracket maybe making it worse,,, anyone,,, ??? I'll attach pic but it's not the best one...
IMG_20210915_145804.jpg
IMG_20210915_145804.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you should carefully look at the drop links (stabilisers) that connect the new strut to the anti roll bar - they are all notorious for knocking.
Secondly, was the top strut mounting and bearing replaced at the same time?
With the car on the deck, sway the wing from side to side when you feel as far up the strut as you can....you should feel any play there.
John :)

I'm guessing the links that connect the strut to the anti roll bar (sway bar, as the Americans call them), are behind the strut in the photos? (i.e. between the strut and the engine bay).

The links normally have a balljoint on each end, and as Burnerman says, these are usually the main source of knocking, under the circumstances you describe. With regard to the bracket offset, as long as the balljoint at either end (some cars have a rubber bush, I'm not familiar with the Focus) don't run out of travel in any combination of suspension and steering position, it's unlikely to be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Turned out to be something very simple,,,the top nut on the drivers side strut was loose,, , ,,, I was able to tighten it from the top without taking the strut back out,,,no rattles now,,, gonna cruise till the tyres fall off,,,

Back