Switch Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a new kitchen fitted and new sockets/switches replaced with new one's.

Nearly 90% of the time when I switch on/off the Immersion Heater switch, I see the yellow'ey flash of light/spark behind the switch.

What do you think the problem might be, cheap/dodgy water heater switch perhaps?

Sponsored Links
its a heavy load being switched on some sparking is natural wether you see it depends mainly on the lighting conditions

is the switch in a dark corner?
some sparkys after getting complaints about this from clients have ended up using 45A shower switches to avoid the problem

The old switch was fine without a flash and it was in a dark corner but after a new kitchen layout, alot more light gets into the kitchen especially this corner.

As long as it something I shouldn't worry about? then I'll leave it at be.

Just checking encase something wasn't right.

Whenever you interrupt current flowing you will get a spark. Switches are designed to cope with this miniature lightning burning away the metalwork every time you switch off. Whether you can see it depends on the design.

Or possibly there is a bad connection rattling about and making showers of sparks each time you move the switch.

Sponsored Links
Darkness said:
As long as it something I shouldn't worry about? then I'll leave it at be.

Just checking encase something wasn't right.
I think you are right to be concerned - there might be something wrong.

What rating is the switch controlling the immersion heater? What make? Did you supply or fit it, or was it done by the kitchen company?

BTW - immersion heater in the kitchen??

You could use a MK 13amp Fuse Connection Unit instead of the Switch
(Catalogue Number K330WHI), for a 3kw immersion heater , much safer.

immersionswitchnew2.jpg

Photo of my installation attached.

Good grief that's ugly!

What a terrible advertisment for the quality of your work!!

Try one of these:

MKK5208.jpg

Why are the flexes all discoloured, BTW?

They were just replacements for two damaged existing unfused switches, that were arcing on switching operation, just like the original author's.

Staining is just the general dirt build up on the area, nothing too bad.

kai said:
They were just replacements for two damaged existing unfused switches, that were arcing on switching operation, just like the original author's.
Switches shouldn't arc badly, and if they do, it's because they aren't properly rated, not because they don't have fuses.

Staining is just the general dirt build up on the area, nothing too bad.
OK.

But the labelling of the FCUs is still pretty dodgy...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
hta switch isn't right for the setup he has

its a double pole on off and a single pole changeover

the setup pictured appears to be off peak which would need two seperate DP on off switches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back