switch for flourescent light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Now this may be a stupid question but please dont shoot me down in flames if it is.

I am planning to replace the wall switch for a flourescent light fitting, but something in the back of my mind tells me I need to use a different type of switch to that used for a normal filament type light. Is this correct or can I fit any old switch of my choosing. (have used standard plastic mk single pole fittings in rest of house)

The only reason I can think I would need a different one would be to do with the back-emf on break from the starter of a flourescent.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Many moons ago, switches used to have to be de-rated when used with fluorescent & similar loads. Nowadays, switches are X-rated (ooh-err!) and need no de-rating.

In any case, with one fitting, it should not be a problem, but in a commercial setting with many on one switch, they used to need de-rating. Indeed they still will, if not X-rated.

However, onto the more important point, has anyone got any pictures of an X-rated switch?? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Laughed my own t'ts off! Maybe that's how they made that one!!

Rob, you really have a piccy for all occasions.. :LOL:

As for whether it is on or off, I'm not sure, but it looks like the n'ppy is pointing down. ;)

Thanks guys, much appreciated for clearing that one up will use my usual switch.

As regards the x-rated switch I shall reserve judgement - otherwise if I comment I may later wish I'd lef't-it alone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back