Switch swap

Reaction score
Country
Zambia
I have bought a new two gang light switch. It has a different mechanism so I had to ask before I light myself up. This new switch has L1, L1A, L1B, L2, L2A and L2B. What do I do?
17035923268321439733920449033046.jpg

Sponsored Links
The switches are two triangles, L1, L1A & L1B are one switch, L2, L2A & L2B are the other switch.

If you look at the back of your current switch you should be able to see a similar triangle setup, make sure you take a picture before disconnecting anything from the old switch.

The switches are two triangles, L1, L1A & L1B are one switch, L2, L2A & L2B are the other switch.

If you look at the back of your current switch you should be able to see a similar triangle setup, make sure you take a picture before disconnecting anything from the old switch.

It looks like its actually not, though at first glance you'd be forgiven for thinking so, common appears to be one of the terminals on the base of the isococles triangle, not the point. Luckily there is a line drawing on the back that makes it clear, but It seems bizzare and likely to cause issues amongst not only DIYers, but also sparks who don't even look at the markings and 'know' its just like every other switch, of course, easily resolved, but likely followed by a lot of cursing about never using customer supplied materials again......

'Tropical' not a make i've ever come across, and sounds like something that should be drunk or eaten, not installed on the wall!

Sponsored Links
Red being markings on new switch, Black being likely marking on old switch.

L1 = com, L1A = L1 or 1 way & L1B = L2 or 2 way. for one half

L2 = com, L2A = L1 or 1 way & L2B = L2 or 2 way. for other half

I'm finding this new layout is becoming popular.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back