switched live paired with a live (changing ceiling light)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to change the current pendants for the new fittings I've bought but the set up is a little different to what I've seen online (All the lives together and switch live on its own).

The new fitting only has three terminals (L, N, E)

This is the current set up.

Is this what it needs to be like?

Or do I need to pair the live and switch live in the new fitting like they are at the moment?

Nb. I am planning on using a 15a block for the lives, is this ok?

Sponsored Links
I think your first drawing has an error as you show both a L & a S/L in the same terminal.

In the second drawing why not put the three E wires in the separate block keeping the fixed terminals for L, N & S/L.
But either that arrangement or your own would be fine I think

Though the first arrangement suggests a second lamp controlled by the same switch

Sorry I forgot to mention that there are two ceiling lights being controlled by the switch.

The fact that there is a live with the s/l is what I'm not sure about.

The fact that there is a live with the s/l is what I'm not sure about

That will be the S/L going to the second lamp but using the "correct" colour for live,

Wire the new rose exactly the same otherwise the 2nd lamp will be on all the time

Sponsored Links
Great!

For clarity this is the new fitting.

So I wire all the earths to the E terminal on the new fitting. The S/L and Live that are paired on the old fitting to the L terminal on the new fitting. The neutrals to the N terminal on the new fitting and the two remaining Lives to a connector block.

Would you know if a 15a block be suitable in this scenario?

So I wire all the earths to the E terminal on the new fitting. The S/L and Live that are paired on the old fitting to the L terminal on the new fitting. The neutrals to the N terminal on the new fitting and the two remaining Lives to a connector block.

Sounds OK to me

Would you know if a 15a block be suitable in this scenario?

Yep fine

In the second drawing why not put the three E wires in the separate block keeping the fixed terminals for L, N & S/L.
Because if the light has an earth terminal it's because the light has a body, connected to that terminal, which needs earthing?

Because if the light has an earth terminal it's because the light has a body, connected to that terminal, which needs earthing?

Fair comment, looking at the later photo it does.

Little update: lights are up and lookin good! Just wired it the same as how the old pendant was fitted but using a connector block for the two lives and keeping the live and switched live together. :D

using a connector block for the two lives and keeping the live and switched live together. :D
The latter two are both switched lives.

They can't be different to each other because they are connected together.

So they can either be both permanent live = both lights on all the time

or

both switched lives = lights able to be switched on and off, and the two lights controlled by the same switch.

The fact that there is a live with the s/l is what I'm not sure about

That will be the S/L going to the second lamp but using the "correct" colour for live

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back