Switched neutral for timer fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a timer fan and therefore need to wire it via a light rose with a switched live. However, the light in question (and the rest of the lights in the house for that matter) uses the neutral as the switch wire.

Am I right to assume that I need to change this junction around so that the live is switched?

Thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
How do you know it switching the neutral???? Is it the black in the live to the ceiling rose ?? if so its nothing unusual it is NOT a neutral it is a switched live and should have been sleeved red. Switched neutrals if you did have them are lethal and are illegal . I think you need to look at a few electrical books to familiarise yourself with wiring methods before attempting work on electrical systems .

Nick

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your assumptions that it's the guy who posts who's foolish and not the idiot who did the job in the first place! Or probably second place as it must have been changed by an earlier occupier.

I shall change the wires round so that the live is switched as it should be. Fortunately having checked a couple of others I find they are not all switched neutrals as I had thought (a result of panicking), it's just this one.

Cheers
Rob

we made no such assumption.. don't be so defensive..

the fact of the matter is that for someone who doesn't do electrics often, the black wire in the live of a ceiling rose could be confusing.

post us a photo and we'll tell you if you're right or not..

You are still of the opinion that it is the neutral that is switched. Is your wiring circuit in singles as opposed to T&E ?
Also can you answer Taylortwocities enquiry regarding the proposed location of this fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back