switching extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting an extractor to a utility room to be part F compliant. Does it need to be switched along with the light or can it just be switched as a stand alone unit?

Sponsored Links
Do you have to have a fan in a utility room to comply with Part F?

It's up to you - however you want it to work.

According to my architect the BCO will want to see one. I have a fan in a downstairs WC and that switches with the light ( and has timer too). The room for the washing machine has obviously not the same need!

Sponsored Links
Looked at the regs and they seem quite clear.
Thanks for the input guys.

Do you have to have a fan in a utility room to comply with Part F?
Depends whether it's needed for there to be adequate ventilation or not.

screenshot_1098.jpg

Round here, the BCO require a fan in a utility.
Is that because round there you have unusual environmental factors which make fans necessary, or because round there Building Control have unilaterally decided to mandate them?

The first is unlikely, the second unacceptable.

Requirements are in Part F Section 5
Part F does not have a Section 5.

By what authority does a guidance document mandate something?
As you know, the guidance document doesn't mandate anything.

However, as you also know, most people would probably struggle to argue successfully that they were complying with Part F (which, like Part P, gives absolutely no detail) if they were not 'complying' with the guidance in Approved Doc F.

Kind Regards, John

Bien sur.

But it's important to always be aware of the distinction between legislation and guidance, and to always be prepared to challenge those who are ignorant or uncaring of the difference. (I'm talking about BCOs).

Bien sur. But it's important to always be aware of the distinction between legislation and guidance, and to always be prepared to challenge those who are ignorant or uncaring of the difference. (I'm talking about BCOs).
As 'a matter of principle', I agree. However, as I said, very few people would have the ability to argue satisfactorily that something which was contrary to the guidance in an Approved Doc was compliant with the corresponding requirement of the Building Regs.

Don't forget that, in practice, virtually everyone wants to satisfy the BCO as quickly, painlessly and easily as possible - and following the guidance in an Approved Doc is the way to achieve that. Only people who had a lot of spare time on their hands would contemplate doing any 'challenging'.

Kind Regards, John

I agree.

Which is why I said "always be prepared to challenge", not "always challenge"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back