Switching off combi boiler to save gas?!

N

NewFolder

A friend of mine always switches the combination boiler off when he leaves the house, so that it doesn't waste gas.

I thought this was a bit OTT, surely it will make it more likely to break down due to it being constantly switched on and off, and will this actually save any gas in a modern boiler that was installed around 2006?

Sponsored Links
Why not just switch the room thermostat down so it doesn't call for heat? If it hasn't got one - it's an easy fix.

Why not just switch the room thermostat down so it doesn't call for heat? If it hasn't got one - it's an easy fix.

It already has a room thermostat, but he still switches the boiler off. I doubt that the heating is scheduled to come on while he is at work etc, he seems to think that the boiler will use gas even if the heating is not on, which I didn't think was the case with combi boilers.

If it's not heating water and not heating the rads then it isn't using gas. Still, it's his boiler and he'll do what he likes with it.

Sponsored Links
A modern boiler uses no gas.

Some annoying boilers like ideal have a preheat water feature that can't be switched off. So it would come on maintaining the heat in
the boiler.

although if the boiler does have a preheat it will save gas he may also damage boiler by not allowing the pump over run to complete its cycle by turning boiler off while everything is still hot

And of course, if it should turn very cold if he is away for a few days or so then the thermostat won't be able to fire the boiler to prevent the pipes from freezing.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back