Switching off external stop cock - is this a stop cock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background - new house, needs modernising; hence many threads. I only go there on the weekends though so you'd better get used to me.. I'm in it for the long haul. Takes me two hours to get there!

I think this is the external stop cock. It was under a manhole cover. First question.. is it a stop cock?
Second question, how do you switch the water off (if it is indeed a stopcock)

I was reticent to try anything because I think it supplies four properties.

PXL_20210522_104236349.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes it’s an external stopcock, and looks like a quarter turn type. So horizontally across the valve is off, test by running the cold main in the house.

That’s a water meter and I think the blue handle only isolates the meter but I could be wrong.

I'm not even sure if it feeds my house to be honest.. there was a label in it that said 'feeds four properties'

Will turn it off this weekend for a minute (or until I get a mouthful from someone in the shower). On second thoughts I'll turn it off at about 11pm.. that should save me rubbing up the new neighbours the wrong way

Sponsored Links
I'm not even sure if it feeds my house to be honest.. there was a label in it that said 'feeds four properties'

Will turn it off this weekend for a minute (or until I get a mouthful from someone in the shower). On second thoughts I'll turn it off at about 11pm.. that should save me rubbing up the new neighbours the wrong way
I’m not sure why a meter would feed 4 properties? Seems pretty useless. What’s the reason you need to shut off outside? Are you changing the internal one?

I’m not sure why a meter would feed 4 properties? Seems pretty useless. What’s the reason you need to shut off outside? Are you changing the internal one?
They're quite old houses and I know there's some complications about shared access and where the sewage runs.. I own the access road which goes past 4 properties, then this meter is just outside that road.

Yes, planning to upgrade the kitchen and the stopcock is in an awkward position. So not an immediate concern but at some point will need to turn off the external cock for a bit. This was the label in it.. I'm thinking it might relate to the 'other' four houses next to mine

PXL_20210522_104411545.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back