Syphoning problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a main tank with a pump in it pumping into a smaller tank. When the pump in the main tank turns off it continues to syphon down into the smaller tank. I am using a float switch system that I would like to turn on the pump within the main tank when the second tanks level gets to low then turn off via another flat switch when it reaches its level. I am not sure how I can stop it from syphoning back on itself once the main tanks pump turns off..I have seen these

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/420182

I am using 1/4" hose of which I think is the same as a washing machine hose?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Take the pipe from the outlet of the pump higher than the level of the water in the main tank.
Then put your anti-vac valve there, so it breaks the syphon. If it doesn't let enough air in , use an air admittance valve as used on waste pipe, or if that doesn't work, a tundish.

the outlet pipe from the main tank is about 1.5 foot above the inlet on the second tank and well above the pump in the main tank..do you have any links to some anti syphon vales?

Thanks

the outlet pipe from the main tank is about 1.5 foot above the inlet on the second tank and well above the pump in the main tank..

The outlet has to be above the inlet on the MAIN tank, with somewhere there to let air in.
Google should throw up parts, from the words I used.

Sponsored Links
unlediky.jpg

Spigot fitted onto an open ended vertical piece of 40mm pipe would do it ;)

Here is an extremely rough sketch of the way I have it set up..

1zwy9g0.jpg

It keeps on pushing water into the second tank when the main tanks pump turns off..

Can anyone tell me an easy way of stopping it from syphoning i.e something I can put on the pipe within the main tank just before it comes out..there isnt any water at the very top of the main tank where it pumps out via a hosetail connector. The problem I have is ive cut a hole in the second tank.

thanks

Are the bases of these tanks at the same level? If yes, then it's not a syphoning effect that is occurring, which means a different solution to the one's mentioned up to now

Are the bases of these tanks at the same level? If yes, then it's not a syphoning effect that is occurring, which means a different solution to the one's mentioned up to now

The bases are at the same level

That's why it siphons then, green is higher level than red. You need an air inlet at girlie purple:
unledbqm.jpg

it could go inside the main tank, at similar height.

Dunno why you need a pump, why not just use a ball/float valve in the smaller tank, like a loo costern fed from a loft tank?
Gravity is fairly reliable, on the whole ;)

Agree with the solution, but is the setup more akin to water finding it's own level via the pipe as the connector more than a syphonic effect? Must admit, it's got my head scratching :confused:

That's why it siphons then, green is higher level than red. You need an air inlet at girlie purple:
unledbqm.jpg

it could go inside the main tank, at similar height.

Dunno why you need a pump, why not just use a ball/float valve in the smaller tank, like a loo costern fed from a loft tank?
Gravity is fairly reliable, on the whole ;)

its for a project im doing where I am not sure where the end user would position the tanks so I would rather use electronics..

So where you say an air inlet if I got a small piece of 1/4 plastic, pushed the 1/4 hose on both ends in the top of the main tank then drilled a couple of holes into it...this would make the water squirt through when the pump was on and loose pressure...is there not a proper valve for this so the water will flow through both ends when the pump is on without coming through the air hole?

Thanks

Install a spring loaded check valve in the pipe work just above the pump.

Just needs a ballvalve on the second tank. :rolleyes:

If it was set up right, when the lower tank was low and the ballvalve opened the siphon may start again and top it back up without the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back