Syphoning problems

Just needs a ballvalve on the second tank. :rolleyes:

If it was set up right, when the lower tank was low and the ballvalve opened the siphon may start again and top it back up without the pump.
The op has stated that the tanks are standing on the same surface which would mean that, at best, any potential syphonic effect would only work until the water levels are the same.

Sponsored Links
Just needs a ballvalve on the second tank. :rolleyes:

If it was set up right, when the lower tank was low and the ballvalve opened the siphon may start again and top it back up without the pump.
The op has stated that the tanks are standing on the same surface which would mean that, at best, any potential syphonic effect would only work until the water levels are the same.

The water levels will never be the same if one tank is half the size as the other.

Assuming the sketch is indicative.

The water levels will never be the same if one tank is half the size as the other.

Assuming the sketch is indicative.
We're all guessing the scenraio here, but if there is a drought on the big tank, then presumably the pump is required to shift the dregs of this one to the smaller tank, which would mean that the system you described would fail.

Would be helpful to understand what the system is actually for?

Thanks for all your replies..

I have now changed the main tanks pump outlet position so it is right at the bottom of the tank..

nq5poh.jpg

I have just tested it and its still filling up the smaller tank when the pump turns off

The pipe is flat against the floor apart from where it goes up and attached to the smaller tank..so as I see it the main tanks pump is below the input to the smaller tank.

So now I have a 20mm hole in the top of the main tank that I need to blank off and a hole in the bottom of the main tank which currently has the pipe connected..

This is for an automated hydroponics system that is controlled by mobile phone for remote applications using picture messaging cameras and a load of electronics that im building a protoype for..I am an electrician who is into electronics. Everything is going well so far apart from this

Anyone any further ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One could have told you that before you drilled the holes.

There are two solutions both have been posted.

OK - relatively simple solution now. Install a 2-port CH valve along the connecting section of pipework which can be controlled by an electronic switching arrangement. The pump is now obsolete unless refill time of the smaller tank needs to be hastened, in which case a delay between the valve opening and the pump turning on may be needed.

OK - relatively simple solution now. Install a 2-port CH valve along the connecting section of pipework which can be controlled by an electronic switching arrangement. The pump is now obsolete unless refill time of the smaller tank needs to be hastened, in which case a delay between the valve opening and the pump turning on may be needed.

The larger head in the bigger tank will flood the lower tank, unless you fit a ballvalve

The larger head in the bigger tank will flood the lower tank, unless you fit a ballvalve
Will the 2-port valve not prevent that if the op has some sensor switching in place in the smaller tank? After all, the op like his electronics. ;)

PS - op the pump will not be obsolete for obvious reasons :oops:

The answer is simple, fit a ballvalve, or raise the smaller tank above the larger one and have an air gap. :rolleyes:

Install a spring loaded check valve in the pipe work just above the pump.

Ok...this is the answer. Ive just fitted one to the smaller tank on the actual tank side where the water pours in. I got a standard brass one but the water pressure of the pump dosent push enough to open it properly so when the main tank is half full not a lot gets through but when the main tank is full more goes through the valve.

The answer I believe is to fit a plastic one of these inline valves on the main tanks pump pipe and leave it submerged in the water but it would have to be attached to the 1/4 hose so I would need special fittings..A plastic one would be better rather than a brass one in the water..do you think this will work? And can anyone provide me with some plastic valve links that can be connected to a 1/4 hose and work on low pressure?

Thanks

There is still a slight dribble coming through the valve :evil:

If you had fitted the valve just above the pump as I suggested you would not now be getting these problems,

The problem is I dont have the fittings nor know where to get them and I dont want to fit the brass valve inside the main tank as it will be submersed 24/7 hence why a plastic valve would be very good with hose tails on the ends..ive been all over google but not much luck..hoselock do one but im not sure how to connect the 2 hoses to it as it only has a connection for one.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back