System Boiler and hot water production

Ok, more on this: I can see water dripping in tundish while the hot water is getting produced.

On the other side, turning the temperature on the hot water cylinder to 55, the boiler seems to behave as expected.

isn't the temperature set on the boiler just for the central heating or does affect the hot water production as well?

Some easy check before calling a pro?

thanks to everyone.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The temperature on the boiler is fixed for both the heating and the cylinder. Therefore setting the temperature is a compromise between having it hot enough to heat the cylinder to satisfy the stat, but not too hot that your radiators are too hot to touch. In summer, this is less of a problem, as your radiators probably aren't on much, if at all.

My money is on the motorised valve micro switch, having just seen the pics of the system

Hello,

I just moved in a new house where there is a system boiler (should be roughly 10 years old), everything seems to work fine by I have a question in regards the hot water production.

Basically, one it's time to produce hot water the burner kicks in and usually in 20-30 min the target temp of 60 degrees is reached so the burner goes back to rest. What it is strange is that at this point, while there is no hot water demand, the burner starts again pretty much at interval of 20min for 5 min, is this normal?

I would have expected that the hot water cylinder would be able to preserve the heat for much longer. SHould I consider that there is a fault either in the hotwater cylinder thermostat or in a water leak from the hot water pipes?

If anyone could explain me this or confirm that this is just normal, I would appreciate it.

thanks!
Are you sure the cylinder stat is satisfied after the initial 20-30 mins? Maybe the boiler has reached its control-stat setting and the burner stopped, but cylinder stat not satisfied and the pump still running. Can you tell if the pump is running? I have a Grundfos with an LED lit when it's running, if you don't have that you can feel if it's vibrating. It happens because the rate of heat transfer from the cylinder coil is usually much lower than the boiler output, specially if there's scale on the outside of the coil. I have an old (20+ years) vented cylinder which is probably well scaled up, and the boiler cycles 4-5 times before the cylinder stat is satisfied.

Sponsored Links
Ok, more on this: I can see water dripping in tundish while the hot water is getting produced.
that will need a qualified g3 tech to sort out :sneaky:

your control system will have a timer,timers vary but the idea is to heat hw for when its required.

Are you a tenant,just asking as other advice,remedy's will vary :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back