System Boiler Recommendation please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old Gas Combi has had regular servicing by the manufacturer but has frequently broken down leaving us with no hot water.

We want a new gas boiler with a hot water tank built in or next to it.

So if the boiler fails we can switch on an emergency immersion heater to get by with until the boiler is fixed.

We are two people in a 3 bed semi and tend to use an Aqualisa Midas shower.

I am tempted by a local company that installs Viessmann boiler but would welcome any recommendations for other brands

Sponsored Links
Thats actually a really complicated question that lots of people struggle with.

I can't believe no one has ever asked it before actually...

Thanks Razor for your comment I found it really helpful.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Intergas Xclusive & a Joule Cyclone set up on hot water priority

Thanks Muggles, I will check on these.

I will look at any other posts you have made about Intergas & Joule.

In a previous house I had an oil boiler which was serviced by the same oil boiler engineer every year and the boiler never let me down.

I know that the boiler alone is not the main thing but a competent heating engineer to advise, install and maintain it.

@muggles @Razor900 @Dan robin

I am interested in the Intergas boilers but have a few thoughts/questions.

Is there an Intergas boiler (or another make) that if the pump failed would still allow me to draw off hot water to the taps until I could get the boiler repaired.

As we have now left the EU and Intergas Boilers are made in Holland, are spare parts still going to be freely available and are spares prices going to rise.

I tried searching for an Intergas Platinum installer in my area (Royston/Cambridge) using MiREG App | Search Installers (myintergasregistration.co.uk) but it didn’t return anything !

I would be concerned about asking a heating engineer to install an Intergas boiler if they hadn’t done this before … same goes for getting an Intergas boiler repaired or maintained !

I emailed Intergas several days ago about this but have not had an acknowledgement let alone a reply

@Zundapp all Intergas boilers will allow you to draw hot water in the event that the pump fails, that's a common feature across the range and unique to Intergas.

Almost every boiler on the market is either manufactured abroad or assembled in the UK from components which are manufactured abroad. Intergas have good stock levels in their warehouse and we've seen no supply issues so far. Will prices rise? Probably, but again that will affect every manufacturer who import components too.

Intergas have reset their Installers page recently in an effort to kick people off who went on the course but don't fit the boilers. It's slowly being rebuilt as genuine installers re-register, but it's taking a while. Call Kevin Ansell on 07792 258579. He's the sales rep for the area so will be able to point you towards a good installer

all Intergas boilers will allow you to draw hot water in the event that the pump fails, that's a common feature across the range and unique to Intergas.

What is unique to the Intergas bithermic heat exchanger is the way the heat exchanger is manufactured. Having a heat exchanger with separate two channels one for CH and one for DHW is not unique to Intergas

Copied from LINK
Bithermic heat exchanger design

The bithermic heat exchanger is structurally different; it contains two circuits for the coolant
The device is also called “pipe in pipe”. This is due to the fact that the bithermic heat exchanger is ground for the implementation of two goals with one element. In the inner tube, water is heated for domestic needs, and in the outer one for heating. This heat exchanger is based on a copper tube of a specific design. In the context, its core contour has a diamond shape. It is connected to the inside of the main tube by soldering. This allows you to combine the mechanisms responsible for heating and water heating: for one, the outer space is used, for the other - the core. The outer tube is also equipped with plates that create greater contact with the combustion products. This improves heat transfer.

What is unique to the Intergas bithermic heat exchanger is the way the heat exchanger is manufactured. Having a heat exchanger with separate two channels one for CH and one for DHW is not unique to Intergas

Copied from LINK
Bithermic heat exchanger design

The bithermic heat exchanger is structurally different; it contains two circuits for the coolant
The device is also called “pipe in pipe”. This is due to the fact that the bithermic heat exchanger is ground for the implementation of two goals with one element. In the inner tube, water is heated for domestic needs, and in the outer one for heating. This heat exchanger is based on a copper tube of a specific design. In the context, its core contour has a diamond shape. It is connected to the inside of the main tube by soldering. This allows you to combine the mechanisms responsible for heating and water heating: for one, the outer space is used, for the other - the core. The outer tube is also equipped with plates that create greater contact with the combustion products. This improves heat transfer.
OK it's unique in currently manufactured boilers if you want to be pendantic about it

Bi flow heat exchanger unique in a certain combi i think not , potterton , ferrolli and worcester amongst others have had models with them for the last 30 years

Bi flow heat exchanger unique in a certain combi i think not , potterton , ferrolli and worcester amongst others have had models with them for the last 30 years
As above, unique in the current UK market. Also arguably the only ones who have made it work successfully

that if the pump failed would still allow me to draw off hot water to the taps until I could get the boiler repaired.
If you have a HW cylinder with immersion heater you will have hot water even if the boiler fails completely. Happened to me few years ago, I was OK for a couple of weeks it took to find the boiler fault. Luckily it was late spring at the time.

As above, unique in the current UK market. Also arguably the only ones who have made it work successfully
its not hard to make a bi flo heat exchanger work is it cold water passes through it it heats up and comes out the hot tap exactly the same principle as water heaters for past 100 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back