System boilers pros and cons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of system boilers in comparison to installing an s or y plan configuration with a heat only boiler . Also what are the most reliable etc. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have only ever fitted system boilers where there is a lack of flow and not suitable for a combi. The last one was in a B&B with multiple H/W outlets so i put in a Firebird (oil) boiler with a twin coil cylinder ready for solar.

A system boiler heats your central heating system directly and produces hot water for the cylinder.
Two zone valves one to cylinder one to heating are best.
You get what you pay for.

Pros: "Many of the major individual components of the heating and hot water system are built into a system boiler, which means that installation is quicker, neater, easier and more efficient."

Cons: Many of the major individual components of the heating and hot water system are built into a system boiler, which means that accessing/replacing them may be more difficult.

ok thanks for the replies, under what circumstances would you install a system boiler instead of a (s) or (y) plan system with a conventional boiler,i know that s plans give better flow rates, I am a recently qualified fitter and want to give the correct advice to customers regarding boiler choice .

Sponsored Links
Don't mean it as an insult, but you should perhaps consider some more studying before you let loose on a customer.

I'm not a gas installer, but I'm a competent DIY plumber. I'm the customer who has to live with the thing after it's been installed, and as far as boilers are concerned, I want the simplest unit with as few parts to go wrong as possible.

I prefer expansion vessels, pumps, valves, filling loops, pressure gauges, programmers and the like separate so they can be easily maintained, changed, upgraded etc. Or kept if the boiler has a short life, making a replacement cheaper.

But that's just a personal preference.

Thinking of it in that perspective makes total sense . Thankyou for your helpful reply. There are others on here who were obviously born with the knowledge and didnt have to learn it

Not being funny mate, but your question is similar to: what is the best car?
The answer is similar too: it depends on the situation, and to a large degree on what the client wants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back