System or Normal Boiler replacement

If you feel you must change the boiler I would go for a heat-only. You already have an external expansion vessel, and with pump and boiler separate it's easier to diagnose and fix any problems.

Sometimes external pump can be problematic in that it may need wired directly to the boiler and that may itself be a difficult task.

Frankly do not see there will be much difference between system and heat only boilers

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all who have offered advice. I have now found a local plumber who will service my existing boiler so I will seek his opinion on its condition and potential serviceable life. From all the comments I’ve received it seems the decision between replacing it (and when) with either another system or heat only boiler is finely balanced with no obvious deal clincher. Whatever happens though I won’t wait until all replacement gas boilers are banned and we are forced to install a technically immature and expensive hydrogen or heat pump alternative - unless there’s someone out there who can convince me I’m wrong?

Gas boilers in existing homes won't be banned for a couple of decades or so yet. It's only new builds where they're being replaced by heat pumps. Heat pump technology is hardly immature though, it's been around for over 30 years.

Hang on to your existing boiler if it works reliably. Parts are still available and you're unlikely to recoup the cost of replacement in energy savings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back