T&E Cable in bathroom ceiling rose damaged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

A friend asked me to take a look at a problem with the wiring to his bathroom light. Basically, it keeps popping fuses at the main distribution board. I unscrewed the ceiling rose and on closer inspection noticed that the insulation on the conductors had become damaged, causing wires to touch and thus pop the fuse.

What I would like to know is, can the cable be repaired in situ or does the whole length of cable need to be replaced? What do sparkies use to repair cable that has damaged insulation.

I am not a sparkie as such, but am an electrical engineer, hence why my friend asked me to have a look.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the amount of damage, but shrink tube is as good as anything else & easy to use.

Thanks jj4091,

I have some heatshrink tubing at work of various sizes so will use some of that then. I just wanted to know if there was a 'recommened' standard way of repairing conductors with minor damage to the insultation.

Cheers,
Rob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back